Women’s tennis opens with clean sweep of FAU

The women’s tennis team opened the dual-match season with a sweep of Florida Atlantic University 7-0, dropping only one set overall.

“Everyone comes away a winner,” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “I was happy with Audra [Cohen], and I was really happy with our freshman Monika [Davcevic].”

The only match that stayed close was Ana Rupic against Pia Turol, which went to a third set.Rupic pulled it out 6-0, 4-6, 6-3.

After Rupic jumped out to an easy lead, Turol turned up the intensity and won the second set.Rupic buckled down in the third set, as Turol made key unforced errors towards the end of the match.

Rupic might have been boosted by the support of her teammates, who came to cheer on her and Melissa Applebaum at the end of their matches.

“We have a group of girls that get along exceptionally well this year,” Applebaum said. “We all work hard together for the same goal and that is to get in the NCAA tournament.”

Applebaum had a tough first set, having to rally from 2-3 in the first set to win 7-6 and finishing out the match in the second set 6-3.

“This was a good win for us,” Applebaum said. “It gets a win under our belts. It’s a good starting match for all of the players.”

Singles action also included Cohen winning 6-1, 6-1 and Caren Seenauth putting up a double bagel on Sanda Moreno-Perregaard 6-0, 6-0.

“This team is probably the most talented I have seen in Miami history,” Applebaum said. “But it has a long way to go to accomplish what we want to accomplish.”

Doubles action featured Cohen and Seenauth winning 8-2 and Rupic and Davcevic winning 8-0.

“Everyone knows what they have to do on the court,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “It’s a matter of getting them to do it in a pressure situation.”

The road ahead gets harder for Miami, who will head to Madison, Wis., to compete in the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. This four-day tournament includes the top 15 teams as well as the host school, the University of Wisconsin.

“By playing the best, it helps you achieve to be the best,” Applebaum said. “It’s a tough schedule, but it’s a great schedule to have.”

The next time Miami is home will be Feb. 10 against Florida International before the team faces second-ranked Florida on Feb. 12. The dual-match schedule this year brings in three top-five teams and 10 that are ranked in the top 50.

“It’s going to be incredible competition,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “It’s going to make them stronger and its going to make them better at the end of the year.”

Denis Brown can be contacted at dbrown@umsis.miami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...