UMNEWS – Two lectures look at effects of music on brain

As part of the Stamps Family Distinguished Visitors Series, Donald A. Hodges will be a visiting lecturer at the Frost School of Music from March 1 to 3. On March 1 at 8:00 p.m., Hodges will present “What’s Going on in There? Peaking into the Music Brain” in the Victor E. Clarke Recital Hall located in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance. On March 3 at 9:00 a.m., he will present “Can Neuroscience tell us whether Music Makes us Smarter” in Broby Hall located in the Broby Wing. Both lectures are free and open to the public.

Hodges is Covington Distinguished Professor of Music Education and director of the Music Research Institute at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. He is contributing editor of the Handbook of Music Psychology and the accompanying Multimedia Companion and has published book chapters, articles and research papers on music education and music psychology. He has served on the editorial boards of Music Educators Journal and Update: Applications of Research in Music Education.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...