UMNEWS – Two lectures look at effects of music on brain

As part of the Stamps Family Distinguished Visitors Series, Donald A. Hodges will be a visiting lecturer at the Frost School of Music from March 1 to 3. On March 1 at 8:00 p.m., Hodges will present “What’s Going on in There? Peaking into the Music Brain” in the Victor E. Clarke Recital Hall located in the Weeks Center for Recording and Performance. On March 3 at 9:00 a.m., he will present “Can Neuroscience tell us whether Music Makes us Smarter” in Broby Hall located in the Broby Wing. Both lectures are free and open to the public.

Hodges is Covington Distinguished Professor of Music Education and director of the Music Research Institute at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. He is contributing editor of the Handbook of Music Psychology and the accompanying Multimedia Companion and has published book chapters, articles and research papers on music education and music psychology. He has served on the editorial boards of Music Educators Journal and Update: Applications of Research in Music Education.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...