Tennis gets big boost from transfer

When Luigi D’Agord led Miami Sunset High School’s tennis team to two state championships, he dreamed of playing for the University of Miami. After a standout year playing for the University of Alabama, D’Agord is right where he aspired to be.

“I was happy to get the call from Alabama, but [Miami is] much better,” D’Agord said. “When you say you play for UM, people respect it.”

D’Agord, a junior, posted a 27-18 record with the Crimson Tide and was named SEC athlete of the week twice-the first player to do so in his first week of eligibility. It took third-ranked Lars Poerscheke three sets to beat D’Agord in the quarterfinals of the ITA national tournament.

D’Agord was chosen by the Bahamas, where he lived until he was 12 before moving to Miami, to represent the country in the Davis Cup. Because he was born in Italy, D’Agord was ineligible to compete for the Bahamas but says he was “surprised and honored” to be chosen.

That r

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...