Tennis gets big boost from transfer

When Luigi D’Agord led Miami Sunset High School’s tennis team to two state championships, he dreamed of playing for the University of Miami. After a standout year playing for the University of Alabama, D’Agord is right where he aspired to be.

“I was happy to get the call from Alabama, but [Miami is] much better,” D’Agord said. “When you say you play for UM, people respect it.”

D’Agord, a junior, posted a 27-18 record with the Crimson Tide and was named SEC athlete of the week twice-the first player to do so in his first week of eligibility. It took third-ranked Lars Poerscheke three sets to beat D’Agord in the quarterfinals of the ITA national tournament.

D’Agord was chosen by the Bahamas, where he lived until he was 12 before moving to Miami, to represent the country in the Davis Cup. Because he was born in Italy, D’Agord was ineligible to compete for the Bahamas but says he was “surprised and honored” to be chosen.

That r

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...