Tennis gets big boost from transfer

When Luigi D’Agord led Miami Sunset High School’s tennis team to two state championships, he dreamed of playing for the University of Miami. After a standout year playing for the University of Alabama, D’Agord is right where he aspired to be.

“I was happy to get the call from Alabama, but [Miami is] much better,” D’Agord said. “When you say you play for UM, people respect it.”

D’Agord, a junior, posted a 27-18 record with the Crimson Tide and was named SEC athlete of the week twice-the first player to do so in his first week of eligibility. It took third-ranked Lars Poerscheke three sets to beat D’Agord in the quarterfinals of the ITA national tournament.

D’Agord was chosen by the Bahamas, where he lived until he was 12 before moving to Miami, to represent the country in the Davis Cup. Because he was born in Italy, D’Agord was ineligible to compete for the Bahamas but says he was “surprised and honored” to be chosen.

That r

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...