Audiences have a swell time Breaking Up at the Miracle Theater

Take your mind off the stress and fast pace of modern-day Miami and travel back in time to the worry-free “good ol’ days” of the Catskills Mountains in the summer of 1960. That’s the idea of the Miracle Theater’s new musical, Breaking Up is Hard To Do. A fun, flirty and light-hearted show, Breaking Up is about finding the one you love when you least expect it.

Breaking Up is part of a new genre of musicals-jukebox musicals-built around hits of the 1950s and ’60s. This one is centered around the songs of Neil Sedaka, perhaps not a household name to this generation, but peppy tunes like “Stupid Cupid” and “Love Will Keep Us Together” are certainly recognizable no matter the age. One major downside to this brand of musical is that while some numbers, like the beautifully sad ballad, “Solitaire,” are poignantly threaded into the play’s story line, other numbers like “Happy Birthday Sweet Sixteen” and “Oh Carol” seem out of place and forced to fit. This can make for awkward breaks in the fluidity of the show.

Breaking Up is about two best friends, Marge (played by Jenny Fellner) and Lois (Laura Woyasz) who are looking for a “magical weekend” at Esther’s Paradise resort in the Catskills after Marge was been dumped by her fianc

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...