Elsewhere – Study: ‘Other’ mostly checked by whites

Daily Pennsylvanian (U. Penn)

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA-A new report shows that most college hopefuls who say they are of “unknown” or “other” race on their applications are actually white, and suggests that this may impact minority enrollment. The study, released by the California-based James Irvine Foundation, found that the number of students who check “unknown” or “other” has grown from 3.2 percent to 5.9 percent in the last decade, and that the majority of those checking the boxes are actually white.

Though Penn officials say that the “other” box does not affect their admissions system, the report concludes that universities across the country are admitting fewer minority students than they anticipate because admissions officers assume applicants who check “other” are part of minority groups.

“The racial or ethnic composition of an institution can be distorted when there is a large unknown population,” reads the December study, entitled “‘Unknown’ Students on College Campuses: An Exploratory Analysis.” It includes data from 28 colleges and universities nationwide.

But Admissions Dean Lee Stetson says that Penn applicants rarely check “other” for their race due the large number of options offered on the application and that the University has a good idea of the makeup of its student body.

Although Stetson could not estimate the number of applicants who choose “other,” he said most do check at least one race, although they can check as many as are applicable.

Approximately 35 percent of the Class of 2009 identified themselves as minority students.

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...