Elsewhere – Study: ‘Other’ mostly checked by whites

Daily Pennsylvanian (U. Penn)

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA-A new report shows that most college hopefuls who say they are of “unknown” or “other” race on their applications are actually white, and suggests that this may impact minority enrollment. The study, released by the California-based James Irvine Foundation, found that the number of students who check “unknown” or “other” has grown from 3.2 percent to 5.9 percent in the last decade, and that the majority of those checking the boxes are actually white.

Though Penn officials say that the “other” box does not affect their admissions system, the report concludes that universities across the country are admitting fewer minority students than they anticipate because admissions officers assume applicants who check “other” are part of minority groups.

“The racial or ethnic composition of an institution can be distorted when there is a large unknown population,” reads the December study, entitled “‘Unknown’ Students on College Campuses: An Exploratory Analysis.” It includes data from 28 colleges and universities nationwide.

But Admissions Dean Lee Stetson says that Penn applicants rarely check “other” for their race due the large number of options offered on the application and that the University has a good idea of the makeup of its student body.

Although Stetson could not estimate the number of applicants who choose “other,” he said most do check at least one race, although they can check as many as are applicable.

Approximately 35 percent of the Class of 2009 identified themselves as minority students.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...