Eagle’s combo too much for Hurricanes

In a matchup of two determined teams, both with superstar duos coming off big performances, the game was won by smart shot selection and decision making by Boston College.

While Miami rallied behind the three-point shooting of Guillermo Diaz and Robert Hite, seeming capable in the second half of knocking off its third straight top 25 team, the Eagles were paced by Craig Smith and Jared Dudley to clinch their first ACC road victory.

Despite Hite and Diaz outscoring Smith and Dudley 40 to 33, it was the little things that mattered in this game. Smith and Dudley shot 9-for-16 from the field and went 14-for-19 from the foul line, while Hite and Diaz went 16-of-38 from the field.

In the first half Miami held Dudley to one point, but Smith had his way underneath the boards.

In the second half Miami came out firing but couldn’t contain Dudley, and Smith continued to attack the glass, finishing with 14 rebounds.

“We’re going to attack the basket and use our big men,” said Eagles Head Coach Al Skinner. “That is the style of play that we excel at it. Miami is a shooting team, and though they made some great shots tonight, it is tougher at the end of the game to rely on jump shooting.”

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...