Eagle’s combo too much for Hurricanes

In a matchup of two determined teams, both with superstar duos coming off big performances, the game was won by smart shot selection and decision making by Boston College.

While Miami rallied behind the three-point shooting of Guillermo Diaz and Robert Hite, seeming capable in the second half of knocking off its third straight top 25 team, the Eagles were paced by Craig Smith and Jared Dudley to clinch their first ACC road victory.

Despite Hite and Diaz outscoring Smith and Dudley 40 to 33, it was the little things that mattered in this game. Smith and Dudley shot 9-for-16 from the field and went 14-for-19 from the foul line, while Hite and Diaz went 16-of-38 from the field.

In the first half Miami held Dudley to one point, but Smith had his way underneath the boards.

In the second half Miami came out firing but couldn’t contain Dudley, and Smith continued to attack the glass, finishing with 14 rebounds.

“We’re going to attack the basket and use our big men,” said Eagles Head Coach Al Skinner. “That is the style of play that we excel at it. Miami is a shooting team, and though they made some great shots tonight, it is tougher at the end of the game to rely on jump shooting.”

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...