Eagle’s combo too much for Hurricanes

In a matchup of two determined teams, both with superstar duos coming off big performances, the game was won by smart shot selection and decision making by Boston College.

While Miami rallied behind the three-point shooting of Guillermo Diaz and Robert Hite, seeming capable in the second half of knocking off its third straight top 25 team, the Eagles were paced by Craig Smith and Jared Dudley to clinch their first ACC road victory.

Despite Hite and Diaz outscoring Smith and Dudley 40 to 33, it was the little things that mattered in this game. Smith and Dudley shot 9-for-16 from the field and went 14-for-19 from the foul line, while Hite and Diaz went 16-of-38 from the field.

In the first half Miami held Dudley to one point, but Smith had his way underneath the boards.

In the second half Miami came out firing but couldn’t contain Dudley, and Smith continued to attack the glass, finishing with 14 rebounds.

“We’re going to attack the basket and use our big men,” said Eagles Head Coach Al Skinner. “That is the style of play that we excel at it. Miami is a shooting team, and though they made some great shots tonight, it is tougher at the end of the game to rely on jump shooting.”

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...