Dear V – How do you tell a serious boyfriend that you are not in love anymore?

I have no idea what to do. I am not in love with my boyfriend anymore. We have been dating seriously since we were freshmen (almost three-and-a -half years!). He is my best friend, but I just don’t think that I am in love with him anymore. I don’t know how to tell him. I don’t want to break his heart. It’s just that I’ve realized that I don’t really want to marry him or spend the rest of my life with him even though he has told me that he can’t wait to marry me. If I do break up with him, will I ever be able to talk to him again? Will he ever want to talk to me again?

Help!

Other Half?

Dear Reader,

In my opinion, your problem ranks pretty high up there on the urgency/difficulty scale. Basically, there isn’t a clean way to go about breaking up with someone, especially if you’ve been together for such a long time. Also, considering the fact that he is still in love with you, things get that much more complicated.

I must say, however, that it is far better for you to do the dirty business of breaking up with him now than saving the news for when you have three kids and a picket fence; nobody wants to end up a dirty little statistic. Furthermore, if you truly believe in the vows of marriage-the whole “’til death do us part” schtick-then obviously you don’t want to marry someone that you’re not even in love with anymore. What fun would that be? Save the falling in and out of love for when you’re 40 with a fast-track career and a too many responsibilities to handle.

So, clearly, you must tell him. I don’t think that it’s fair of you to withhold this vital piece of information from him any longer. And, I think it’s best if you just come out and say it during daylight hours when you are sober and in a sane frame of mind; do not tell him in bed, do not tell him late at night, do not tell him after taking him out for dinner, and do not under any circumstances tell him when there are other people around. You are likely going to crush him, and the least you can do is help him retain the little dignity that he will have left. Furthermore, don’t play dumb little games with him. Distancing yourself is just mean, hurtful and totally unnecessary. I am sorry because it’s going to be so hard and so emotionally fueled, but telling him flat out that you don’t want to be with him is the best and the only way to tell him.

Best of luck,

V.

Fact o’ the Day. Urolagnia is the formal term used for one who has a fetish for urine, i.e. the “golden shower.”

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

V is a senior majoring in psychology and creative writing.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...