Dear V – How do you tell a serious boyfriend that you are not in love anymore?

I have no idea what to do. I am not in love with my boyfriend anymore. We have been dating seriously since we were freshmen (almost three-and-a -half years!). He is my best friend, but I just don’t think that I am in love with him anymore. I don’t know how to tell him. I don’t want to break his heart. It’s just that I’ve realized that I don’t really want to marry him or spend the rest of my life with him even though he has told me that he can’t wait to marry me. If I do break up with him, will I ever be able to talk to him again? Will he ever want to talk to me again?

Help!

Other Half?

Dear Reader,

In my opinion, your problem ranks pretty high up there on the urgency/difficulty scale. Basically, there isn’t a clean way to go about breaking up with someone, especially if you’ve been together for such a long time. Also, considering the fact that he is still in love with you, things get that much more complicated.

I must say, however, that it is far better for you to do the dirty business of breaking up with him now than saving the news for when you have three kids and a picket fence; nobody wants to end up a dirty little statistic. Furthermore, if you truly believe in the vows of marriage-the whole “’til death do us part” schtick-then obviously you don’t want to marry someone that you’re not even in love with anymore. What fun would that be? Save the falling in and out of love for when you’re 40 with a fast-track career and a too many responsibilities to handle.

So, clearly, you must tell him. I don’t think that it’s fair of you to withhold this vital piece of information from him any longer. And, I think it’s best if you just come out and say it during daylight hours when you are sober and in a sane frame of mind; do not tell him in bed, do not tell him late at night, do not tell him after taking him out for dinner, and do not under any circumstances tell him when there are other people around. You are likely going to crush him, and the least you can do is help him retain the little dignity that he will have left. Furthermore, don’t play dumb little games with him. Distancing yourself is just mean, hurtful and totally unnecessary. I am sorry because it’s going to be so hard and so emotionally fueled, but telling him flat out that you don’t want to be with him is the best and the only way to tell him.

Best of luck,

V.

Fact o’ the Day. Urolagnia is the formal term used for one who has a fetish for urine, i.e. the “golden shower.”

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

V is a senior majoring in psychology and creative writing.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...