School of Communication’s courtyard soon to have new name, purpose

Dean Sam L Grogg, head of the School of Communication, has begun to put in motion plans to designate the Wolfson building courtyard as a free-speech zone. Though the entire campus is technically a free-speech zone, Grogg said the courtyard, which is being renamed the Common Ground, will be a location that celebrates the country’s first amendment and the freedoms it protects.

“It can become a place that the campus can rely upon for dialogue,” he said. “It really was motivated by what I saw in the courtyard in the interaction between students and professors.”

Though this may seem similar to the purpose of The Rock, Grogg sees it as complement to that venue, not competition.

“The long-term goal is to make it as recognizable as a place for free speech as Hyde Park,” Grogg said.

Referring to Speaker’s Corner in Hyde Park in London, a universally recognized forum where people are able to express their opinions freely, Grogg continually emphasized the importance of free expression rights.

“These [rights]are so precious and I fear we take them for granted,” he said.

To encourage any student who wishes to make his or her opinions public, Grogg wants a permanent soap box or platform be erected for anyone to use.

“There are monuments we create to stand for an idea and [the courtyard]can stand for freedom of expression,” he said.

Tanya Carpenter, junior, had not yet heard about the plans for the courtyard.

“I think it’s a good thing for people to have their own say,” Carpenter said. “It’s a good idea so you can [hear]different opinions from different people.”

Other students, such as Ryan Gregg, sophomore, also see promise for the plan. Gregg said he believes as long as discussion is not one-sided and not simply someone preaching, the courtyard idea will interest students.

“I think that it’s a way to decrease close-mindedness and open debate,” Gregg said. “I think that it will start out small, but the message will spread and it will grow in time because people will have a place to vent.”

The formal commemoration of the courtyard is expected to occur during Communication Week in March.

“Programming [in the courtyard]will wrap itself around freedom of the press and freedom of speech,” Grogg said.

The dean said that a plaque with the new name will indicate the role of the courtyard. Grogg also said he wishes for the first amendment to be displayed in several languages to emphasize that these rights have no border or language barrier.

“We want people to remember these are human rights, not civil rights,” he said.

But, according to Grogg, this is not simply a name change.

“We also want it to be an arena to display the work of the students,” he said.

Grogg would like television screens in the courtyard to showcase the work of Communication students in what he calls a “living exhibit,” among other additions.

“We are going to plan other events [and]adapt the space for various seating configurations,” he said.

The first event to be held in the courtyard will be Monday at 6 p.m., featuring Thomas Friedman, a three-time Pulitzer Prize winning columnist for the New York Times, who will discuss his best-selling book The World is Flat. His remarks will be followed by a question-and-answer session involving students and faculty.

Greg Linch can be contacted at g.linch@miami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...