Salminen shines at Art Festival

The annual Beaux Arts Festival is more arts and crafts than art, but artist Natalie Salminen shined among the others with her visually and mentally appealing paintings.

After almost nine years of off-and-on-again schooling, Salminen finally graduated college with a degree and a wealth of travel experience, ready to tackle the world. Then, three years ago Salminen says she made the decision to make painting her priority: “I thought about it and then finally decided; all right I’m going to try and be an artist.”

Unpretentious and truly inspired by her works, any observer can tell that Salminen’s work is not in typical fashion for an Arts Festival. She works mostly with oils and acrylics, making sleek designs with bright colors, words and big canvases. Using nature themes, Salminen says most of her inspiration comes from where she lives. “I live in a little trailer in Big Cypress National Perserve, where I paint. Most of the motifs for my paintings come from those surroundings.”

In addition to her appealing works, Salminen had the only booth at the Beaux Art Festival that allowed attendants to step into another realm, tranforming her booth into more of a gallery space.

To own one of Salminen’s works, prices range from $725 to $1,900. Despite the dollar signs the price is worth the product as Salminen’s pieces are timeless and alluring. For more on Natalie Salminen, visit www.nataliesalminen.com.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...