Salminen shines at Art Festival

The annual Beaux Arts Festival is more arts and crafts than art, but artist Natalie Salminen shined among the others with her visually and mentally appealing paintings.

After almost nine years of off-and-on-again schooling, Salminen finally graduated college with a degree and a wealth of travel experience, ready to tackle the world. Then, three years ago Salminen says she made the decision to make painting her priority: “I thought about it and then finally decided; all right I’m going to try and be an artist.”

Unpretentious and truly inspired by her works, any observer can tell that Salminen’s work is not in typical fashion for an Arts Festival. She works mostly with oils and acrylics, making sleek designs with bright colors, words and big canvases. Using nature themes, Salminen says most of her inspiration comes from where she lives. “I live in a little trailer in Big Cypress National Perserve, where I paint. Most of the motifs for my paintings come from those surroundings.”

In addition to her appealing works, Salminen had the only booth at the Beaux Art Festival that allowed attendants to step into another realm, tranforming her booth into more of a gallery space.

To own one of Salminen’s works, prices range from $725 to $1,900. Despite the dollar signs the price is worth the product as Salminen’s pieces are timeless and alluring. For more on Natalie Salminen, visit www.nataliesalminen.com.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...