LSU Tigers steamroll Miami in Peach Bowl disaster

ATLANTA-In the weeks leading up to the Dec. 30 Peach Bowl, No. 10 Miami’s matchup with No. 9 Louisiana State was hyped as the best of the non-Bowl Championship Series postseason. The Tigers certainly lived up to the pre-game hysteria, but the Hurricanes failed to hold up their end of the bargain.

LSU (11-2) torched Miami’s (9-3) vaunted defense for 468 yards of total offense and completely stifled the Hurricanes with a swarming defense in a 40-3 blowout in front of 65,620 fans at the Georgia Dome.

The Tigers’ sophomore back-up quarterback Matt Flynn performed admirably in place of injured starter JaMarcus Russell, going 13-for-22 for 196 yards and two touchdowns to capture game MVP honors. Running Back Joseph Addai shredded UM’s defense with 138 yards on 24 carries and a touchdown.

Miami’s frustration boiled over after time expired, when a wild melee broke out between several players in the tunnel, resulting in Andrew Bain and Khalil Jones being knocked unconscious. The actual cause of the fracas remains unclear, but Head Coach Larry Coker did not wait to find out the full story before apologizing.

“I don’t know all the details of what happened after the game,” Coker said. “But certainly as a university and football program, we don’t condone any of type of activities such as that. It detracts from a great bowl game and what the spirit of college football is all about.”

Athletic Director Paul Dee was compelled to make a statement after the post-game scuffle.

“On behalf of the University of Miami, I want to congratulate LSU on a fine win,” Dee said. “Second, any event, regardless of the cause, is inappropriate. We don’t condone it; don’t want to be involved in it. We’re sorry.”

The game itself was about as visually appealing to Hurricane fans as the brawl in the tunnel. Miami managed a mere 153 yards of offense and six first downs in the loss. Quarterback Kyle Wright struggled in defeat, throwing for 100 yards on 10-for-21 passing. The redshirt sophomore failed to convert a fourth-and-one from the LSU 35-yard line with the game tied at 3-3 early in the second quarter, igniting a 37-point flurry by the Tigers.

“I don’t think we played the entire day,” Coker said. “We didn’t match their emotion. We didn’t match their energy as the game progressed.”

Flynn broke the tie with a 51-yard strike over the middle to a wide-open Craig Davis, who burned Randy Phillips on a deep post for a 10-3 Tiger advantage. Chris Jackson added a 47-yard field goal minutes later to make the score 13-3.

After a Miami three-and-out, Flynn hooked up with Dwayne Bowe for gains of 32 and 11 yards to set up a four-yard swing pass to Addai for a touchdown and 20-3 lead just before halftime.

Looking for some momentum to start the second half, Wright could only muster three incompletions, and LSU responded by scoring on its next four possessions: a six-yard touchdown run by Addai, a one-yard dive by fullback Jacob Hester and two field goals.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...