Elsewhere – Schwarzenegger’s proposal to help rising student fees, cut some funds

Daily Bruin (UCLA)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES-When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled his budget proposals this week for the 2006-2007 fiscal year, many in the University of California community were pleased to find funding to counteract rising student fees.

But others were disheartened to find that it did not include funding for the Academic Preparation Programs or the UC Labor Centers for the second year in a row.

The UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education, formed in 1964, provides resources for students to learn about unions and workers. The UCLA Labor Center in downtown Los Angeles opened in 2002.

The Academic Preparation Programs are community-ou treach programs that prepare students from economically disadvantaged and low-income backgrounds to attend universities, according to the UC’s web site. Programs under this umbrella include UCLA Early Academic Outreach Programs, the Center for Community College Partnerships and the Medical School Outreach program.

Ruth Obel-Jorgensen, organizing director of the UC Student Association, said the organization will hold a lobby conference in February, during which they hope to persuade the Legislature to support the distribution of funds to these institutes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...