Elsewhere – Schwarzenegger’s proposal to help rising student fees, cut some funds

Daily Bruin (UCLA)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES-When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled his budget proposals this week for the 2006-2007 fiscal year, many in the University of California community were pleased to find funding to counteract rising student fees.

But others were disheartened to find that it did not include funding for the Academic Preparation Programs or the UC Labor Centers for the second year in a row.

The UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education, formed in 1964, provides resources for students to learn about unions and workers. The UCLA Labor Center in downtown Los Angeles opened in 2002.

The Academic Preparation Programs are community-ou treach programs that prepare students from economically disadvantaged and low-income backgrounds to attend universities, according to the UC’s web site. Programs under this umbrella include UCLA Early Academic Outreach Programs, the Center for Community College Partnerships and the Medical School Outreach program.

Ruth Obel-Jorgensen, organizing director of the UC Student Association, said the organization will hold a lobby conference in February, during which they hope to persuade the Legislature to support the distribution of funds to these institutes.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...