Elsewhere – Schwarzenegger’s proposal to help rising student fees, cut some funds

Daily Bruin (UCLA)

(U-WIRE) LOS ANGELES-When Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger unveiled his budget proposals this week for the 2006-2007 fiscal year, many in the University of California community were pleased to find funding to counteract rising student fees.

But others were disheartened to find that it did not include funding for the Academic Preparation Programs or the UC Labor Centers for the second year in a row.

The UCLA Center for Labor Research and Education, formed in 1964, provides resources for students to learn about unions and workers. The UCLA Labor Center in downtown Los Angeles opened in 2002.

The Academic Preparation Programs are community-ou treach programs that prepare students from economically disadvantaged and low-income backgrounds to attend universities, according to the UC’s web site. Programs under this umbrella include UCLA Early Academic Outreach Programs, the Center for Community College Partnerships and the Medical School Outreach program.

Ruth Obel-Jorgensen, organizing director of the UC Student Association, said the organization will hold a lobby conference in February, during which they hope to persuade the Legislature to support the distribution of funds to these institutes.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...