‘Canes continue winning ways versus Clemson

As Miami moves deeper into its Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) schedule, the Hurricanes appear to be improving exponentially at the perfect time.

The ‘Canes won their fourth consecutive game on Wednesday, dispatching Clemson 62-38 at the BankUnited Center. Miami (11-6, 3-1) played stifling defense, holding the Tigers to 25 percent from the field. Clemson (13-5, 2-3) hurt its cause by shooting 36 percent from the free throw line.

Guillermo Diaz overcame a one-point first half to lead all scorers with 12 points despite hitting only four of 15 shots. Robert Hite added 11 on five of nine shooting, including several thunderous dunks that brought the crowd to its feet, and Anthony King dominated the interior with 11 points and six rebounds. Denis Clemente came off the bench and scored 10 points in relief of Anthony Harris, who left the contest early in the second half with leg cramps.

The Tigers finished the game without a double-digit scorer, as freshman K.C. Rivers led the team with eight points. Point guard Vernon Hamilton struggled under heavy pressure from the Hurricanes’ trapping defense, going 2-for-10 from the floor for five points.

Miami fell behind by 11 early in the first half, but Harris ignited a 26-9 run, which featured a steal and tomahawk dunk by Hite, to take a six-point halftime lead.

“Obviously I’m very pleased,” said Head Coach Frank Haith. “I thought our kids got off to a slow start and the energy was not where it needed to be. I am proud of how we responded.”

Leading 37-29 seven minutes into the second half, the Hurricanes increased their level of intensity and broke the game open. A driving lay-up and four-point play by Diaz highlighted a 16-0 run spanning six minutes.

“It was just one of those nights where I kept playing,” Diaz said. “I won’t back down if I am not having a good night. I got open shots and we were able to gain momentum.”

Miami returns to action Saturday night to take on conference newcomer Boston College at 8 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. Haith said the efforts of his players deserve praise, but the grueling portion of the ACC schedule looms ahead.

“It’s way too early to start celebrating,” Haith said. “There are a lot of games to be played. We can’t be complacent.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...