‘Canes continue winning ways versus Clemson

As Miami moves deeper into its Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) schedule, the Hurricanes appear to be improving exponentially at the perfect time.

The ‘Canes won their fourth consecutive game on Wednesday, dispatching Clemson 62-38 at the BankUnited Center. Miami (11-6, 3-1) played stifling defense, holding the Tigers to 25 percent from the field. Clemson (13-5, 2-3) hurt its cause by shooting 36 percent from the free throw line.

Guillermo Diaz overcame a one-point first half to lead all scorers with 12 points despite hitting only four of 15 shots. Robert Hite added 11 on five of nine shooting, including several thunderous dunks that brought the crowd to its feet, and Anthony King dominated the interior with 11 points and six rebounds. Denis Clemente came off the bench and scored 10 points in relief of Anthony Harris, who left the contest early in the second half with leg cramps.

The Tigers finished the game without a double-digit scorer, as freshman K.C. Rivers led the team with eight points. Point guard Vernon Hamilton struggled under heavy pressure from the Hurricanes’ trapping defense, going 2-for-10 from the floor for five points.

Miami fell behind by 11 early in the first half, but Harris ignited a 26-9 run, which featured a steal and tomahawk dunk by Hite, to take a six-point halftime lead.

“Obviously I’m very pleased,” said Head Coach Frank Haith. “I thought our kids got off to a slow start and the energy was not where it needed to be. I am proud of how we responded.”

Leading 37-29 seven minutes into the second half, the Hurricanes increased their level of intensity and broke the game open. A driving lay-up and four-point play by Diaz highlighted a 16-0 run spanning six minutes.

“It was just one of those nights where I kept playing,” Diaz said. “I won’t back down if I am not having a good night. I got open shots and we were able to gain momentum.”

Miami returns to action Saturday night to take on conference newcomer Boston College at 8 p.m. at the BankUnited Center. Haith said the efforts of his players deserve praise, but the grueling portion of the ACC schedule looms ahead.

“It’s way too early to start celebrating,” Haith said. “There are a lot of games to be played. We can’t be complacent.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...