Walking for wages

Students and workers marched from the Michael Yaron intramural fields to the UC Rock Tuesday in Walk for Wages, a protest sponsored by Students Toward a New Democracy (STAND) to push for living wages for UM’s UNICCO workers.

“Poverty cannot wait,” said Jacob Coker-Dukowitz, member of STAND. “The walk was an enormous success in terms of getting our message across for our requests for change.”

These formal requests include that UM direct UNICCO to respect workers’ decision to unionize and that the company provide sufficiently high wages and affordable health benefits for its workers.

Organizers said 60 to 70 people-half students and half workers-marched at the event.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...