THIS IS NOT FOR YOU

Isn’t it great that when someone goes out of their way to get something they really want, they are labeled as weird, fanatical and outright crazy? With black Friday behind us, many are looking back and saying: “Wow, what idiots.” Let’s get something straight, though: I’m not condoning the fact that an old woman got trampled at a Wal-Mart, but that was a freak accident and if one person out of the billions that went shopping was killed, then I think statistically, it’s all gravy, baby. Plus, have you seen the types of people who shop at Wal-Mart at night? You’d have to be crazy, with no teeth and three nipples, to even fit in.

I admit, I was at Best Buy at 2 a.m. waiting in line to save money on an item I had saved up for. It was something I really wanted, and I was given the opportunity to save money at the expense of losing a few hours of sleep. But no, apparently I and the 500-plus people who were there are crazy too and as many others have put it, “have nothing better to do.” I’ll admit, when it comes to electronics, I am a consumer whore, but I think it’s a tad ridiculous when others call us out on an activity that happens once a year and in terms of gaming consoles, once every three or four years.

They look down on us because we didn’t sleep a full night and got up early to go shop. What amuses me the most is that while most of them say, “You got up at 2 a.m. to go shop, that’s so stupid,” most of them are the same ones who constantly get home at four, five or six in the morning from a night of dancing and drinking. Too bad the happiness brought on by such activities is fleeting, and when they wake up they regret ever doing it. Shame that while you regret your night of debauchery and the fact that you didn’t get much sleep either because you’re laying in a pool of your own puke; I can, on a daily basis, see and use what I bought and receive joy from it. I win.

Tons of people criticized those who camped out to be the first ones to get their hands on a new system. Why do people camp out? The same reasons you wait in long lines at the theater for a new movie, you go out and buy the latest fashions and you watch the newest episode of Nip/Tuck. You enjoy what you’re getting, you become socially acceptable in your little subculture and most importantly, bragging rights.

Before you go out and point fingers at the person who camped out for an Xbox 360 or saved money at an early morning sale, think about what exactly you’re making fun of and relate it to what you like. You may find out that they both have many things in common.

Jovanni Bello can be reached at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...