Dreary, melodramatic emo Sleepwalker disappoints

Emo duo JamisonParker have finally released their first full-length album after exploding onto the indie music scene in 2003 with their brilliant five track EP, Notes & Photographs. Too bad bandmates Jamison Covington and Parker Case put listeners to sleep with their latest album, Sleepwalker, with dreary lyrics and lethargic instrumentals.

One quick scan at the playlist of Sleepwalker will make anyone roll their eyes at the sheer melodrama that drips from the song titles alone. “Emergency Room Romantic”? “Slow Suicide”? Please. Life just isn’t all that bad! The actual lyrics don’t redeem these songs, either. The first track, “Alcohol and Bandages” is full of cringe-worthy lyrics like, “Sleeping’s overrated, we lie awake and cry/If this is love, then kill me now and save me from my life” and the abysmal repetition of “Just close your eyes, everything will be ok.” The over-the-top emo drags down the energy level of the entire album. Sleepwalker errs far too heavily on the dark side, resulting in a boring, ridiculously emotive string of songs that drag with thudding, laborious tempo.

The only real display of the band’s capabilities is the chipper romantic ditty “Paper Rock Scissors” that gives a glimpse into hopeful, long-distance college love. There are some upbeat moments of light in “Best Mistake” as well,and the romantic appeal of “Here’s Everything I’ve Always Meant to Say” gives the latter half of the disc a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, as a whole, Sleepwalker disappoints. Perhaps Covington and Case should get together, hug, cry and start working on perking up for their next body of work.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...