Dreary, melodramatic emo Sleepwalker disappoints

Emo duo JamisonParker have finally released their first full-length album after exploding onto the indie music scene in 2003 with their brilliant five track EP, Notes & Photographs. Too bad bandmates Jamison Covington and Parker Case put listeners to sleep with their latest album, Sleepwalker, with dreary lyrics and lethargic instrumentals.

One quick scan at the playlist of Sleepwalker will make anyone roll their eyes at the sheer melodrama that drips from the song titles alone. “Emergency Room Romantic”? “Slow Suicide”? Please. Life just isn’t all that bad! The actual lyrics don’t redeem these songs, either. The first track, “Alcohol and Bandages” is full of cringe-worthy lyrics like, “Sleeping’s overrated, we lie awake and cry/If this is love, then kill me now and save me from my life” and the abysmal repetition of “Just close your eyes, everything will be ok.” The over-the-top emo drags down the energy level of the entire album. Sleepwalker errs far too heavily on the dark side, resulting in a boring, ridiculously emotive string of songs that drag with thudding, laborious tempo.

The only real display of the band’s capabilities is the chipper romantic ditty “Paper Rock Scissors” that gives a glimpse into hopeful, long-distance college love. There are some upbeat moments of light in “Best Mistake” as well,and the romantic appeal of “Here’s Everything I’ve Always Meant to Say” gives the latter half of the disc a glimmer of hope. Unfortunately, as a whole, Sleepwalker disappoints. Perhaps Covington and Case should get together, hug, cry and start working on perking up for their next body of work.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...