Dear V

I have a wonderful boyfriend who is faithful, caring and supportive. Great, right? Well apparently I am not happy being happy, and I need to find something I can pick on him about. My boyfriend has a lot of exes…not serious girlfriends, but flings that lasted less than a month. I get really jealous when he mentions them, even if he is just saying “This girl I dated used to love that band” or something similarly pointless. I know that insecurity is the seed of jealousy-but I don’t consciously feel like an insecure person. Why can’t I get over the fact that my boyfriend has been involved with other girls, even when I know he is loyal to me now? I know I can’t hold someone’s past against them….but why does this bother me so much, and how can I quit stressing out over this stupid crap!? It also irritates me because he was the one who ditched all of them, and some of them still send him e-mails and pictures of themselves (which he shows me, thinking I will laugh and not realizing that I don’t want to think about his ex-chicks!)

Please help V. I feel like such a whiny girlfriend here, and I hate that!

-Jealous Chick

Dear Reader,

Though I’m not going to let you off the hook by saying that you have every right to profess your jealousy, I don’t think that there is a person out there (who’s in love or maybe not) who wouldn’t sympathize with your feelings. Emotional infidelity is very real, though I really would be surprised if your boyfriend were being unfaithful to you. I highly doubt that he would show you these pictures if he were actually cheating on you, and the fact that he has enough grounding in the relationship to share his laughs with you says a lot about you and about the state of the relationship-it’s real. He trusts you enough to trust him. Of course, I’m assuming that he is a nice guy, and if he’s not, then I could be way off the mark here.

I wholeheartedly believe that feelings are never wrong, but that it’s the behavior that expresses these feelings that can be deadly. OK, so it upsets you that he shows you these pictures, so tell him that though you are an extremely confident and secure person on the whole, that you really don’t appreciate what he’s doing. Problem solved, hopefully. Be aware that you will never be able to stop other girls from hitting on him. It’s just not going to happen unless you have magical powers or happen to be some kind of unearthly god. Sorry, that’s just the way things work.

Oh, and word to the wise, even the most confident of the uberconfident still get bogged down in their own insecurities. Everyone carries around the weight of something they wish that they could change about themselves. What do you think that unnecessary display of confidence is for? Bingo, it’s all about disregarding that part of yourself that you wish just didn’t exist: the control issues, the big butt, the empty bank account. Whatever. Nobody is perfect, but everybody tries to be, to absolutely no avail and a large increase in personal distress. So, relax Captain Cool, let your boyfriend know that he can keep his pictures to himself and enjoy your relationship with him.

Best of luck!

V.

Fact o’ the Day…Erotic sensations have the potential to travel from the skin to the brain at rate of 150 miles per hour.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...