Dear V

I have a wonderful boyfriend who is faithful, caring and supportive. Great, right? Well apparently I am not happy being happy, and I need to find something I can pick on him about. My boyfriend has a lot of exes…not serious girlfriends, but flings that lasted less than a month. I get really jealous when he mentions them, even if he is just saying “This girl I dated used to love that band” or something similarly pointless. I know that insecurity is the seed of jealousy-but I don’t consciously feel like an insecure person. Why can’t I get over the fact that my boyfriend has been involved with other girls, even when I know he is loyal to me now? I know I can’t hold someone’s past against them….but why does this bother me so much, and how can I quit stressing out over this stupid crap!? It also irritates me because he was the one who ditched all of them, and some of them still send him e-mails and pictures of themselves (which he shows me, thinking I will laugh and not realizing that I don’t want to think about his ex-chicks!)

Please help V. I feel like such a whiny girlfriend here, and I hate that!

-Jealous Chick

Dear Reader,

Though I’m not going to let you off the hook by saying that you have every right to profess your jealousy, I don’t think that there is a person out there (who’s in love or maybe not) who wouldn’t sympathize with your feelings. Emotional infidelity is very real, though I really would be surprised if your boyfriend were being unfaithful to you. I highly doubt that he would show you these pictures if he were actually cheating on you, and the fact that he has enough grounding in the relationship to share his laughs with you says a lot about you and about the state of the relationship-it’s real. He trusts you enough to trust him. Of course, I’m assuming that he is a nice guy, and if he’s not, then I could be way off the mark here.

I wholeheartedly believe that feelings are never wrong, but that it’s the behavior that expresses these feelings that can be deadly. OK, so it upsets you that he shows you these pictures, so tell him that though you are an extremely confident and secure person on the whole, that you really don’t appreciate what he’s doing. Problem solved, hopefully. Be aware that you will never be able to stop other girls from hitting on him. It’s just not going to happen unless you have magical powers or happen to be some kind of unearthly god. Sorry, that’s just the way things work.

Oh, and word to the wise, even the most confident of the uberconfident still get bogged down in their own insecurities. Everyone carries around the weight of something they wish that they could change about themselves. What do you think that unnecessary display of confidence is for? Bingo, it’s all about disregarding that part of yourself that you wish just didn’t exist: the control issues, the big butt, the empty bank account. Whatever. Nobody is perfect, but everybody tries to be, to absolutely no avail and a large increase in personal distress. So, relax Captain Cool, let your boyfriend know that he can keep his pictures to himself and enjoy your relationship with him.

Best of luck!

V.

Fact o’ the Day…Erotic sensations have the potential to travel from the skin to the brain at rate of 150 miles per hour.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...