AS I SEE IT

“It’s a tough job, but somebody’s got to do it.” We’ve all heard this phrase either seriously or in jest. Today it seems all the more relevant in light of the creation of the UNICCO Worker Sainthood that many, including STAND (Sliding Towards a Neo-proletarian Dictatorship), seem determined to perpetuate.

With all seriousness, the task the UNICCO workers perform is not an easy one and in all fairness they don’t get paid much to do it. Having said that, when I walk by a UNICCO worker I don’t think, “Oh it’s so sad what he/she has to do for a living, I think I’ll say hi so they know how much I appreciate their efforts.” Anyone that really does think this is either a member of a vast numerical minority.or just completely full of crap. What I really think is that I’m relieved I’m not the one emptying that trash can or cleaning the restroom, because I’ve done it before and it’s not much fun.

While it’s certainly nice to see that many people seem to be so suddenly interested in the hourly wage of the workers who perform those tasks that most would never dream of performing, watching every other person go up and say “Thank you” to anyone with a broom and a toilet brush is beginning to reach the brink of puke inducement. It would be one thing if that many people actually were appreciative, but instead it ends up being because far too many people just simply wish to assuage their own liberal guilt complex-just before they get in their SUV and head to the Grove (while whining on their cell phone about the price of gas, no doubt).

The value of a certain job is not relative to how much the job is worth to you, the worker; it’s what the job is worth to the employer and the marketplace. The amount the UNICCO workers get paid is what a job changing the trash or cleaning toilets is worth, although UNICCO workers do many other things as well. If working for UNICCO is such a dead end prospect then one should either get a second job or get a different job, like I did when I got sick of making no money riding on the back of that garbage truck several years back.

If the UNICCO workers feel they can get a better deal through collective bargaining with UNICCO, that’s their right and their business. But can we please stop this “workers of the world unite” crap that STAND (which is actually Students Toward a New Democracy) is attempting to promulgate? In the end, while whining about exploitation, STAND may be the biggest exploiters of all.

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...