art basel is in miami beach

The world’s largest art show crossed the Atlantic and landed in Miami Beach. Art Basel, the world’s most renowned international art show from Switzerland, has started a similar event in Miami Beach. Art Basel Miami Beach combines art and culture, utilizing music, film, architecture, special exhibitions and, of course, parties.

The main gallery for Art Basel is the Miami Beach Convention Center in Miami Beach, which is within walking distance from other exhibit areas in Collins Park or at area hotels sponsoring the event.

The Convention Center holds a selection of the top 195 leading art galleries that specialize in new and contemporary art. From North America, Latin America, Europe, Africa and Asia, more than 2,000 artists will be showing their best works. Tagged as “the most important art show on the American continent” collectors, artists, dealers, curators and art enthusiasts are buzzed about the event.

While it is not just paintings and photographs on exhibit, within Art Basel there are different areas focused on new forms of art. One of the areas combines converted shipping containers with up-and-coming architects to create mini-public art spaces titled Art Positions. For those who prefer performance art, Art Perform and Art Sound Lounge bring performance artists and open acoustic sets to the sandy beaches of Miami.

In addition to the fanfare on Miami Beach, the Design District, other renowned museums such as Miami Art Central (MAC) and MOMA and local galleries are each participating in small ways. In particular, MAC is offering $5 breakfasts and access to the William Kentridge exhibit every morning this weekend. For an even more unique experience, art enthusiasts can also take a boat tour around Biscayne Bay and visit the collections of George Lindemann Jr. and Debra and Dennis Scholl.

As for the evenings, Art Basel and the myriad of clubs and restaurants here in Miami are offering up a plethora of parties. Co-sponsored by Art Basel Miami Beach and hip hotel the Delano, drinks and dinners out are an art-infused event this weekend.

The Convention Center is open from noon to 10 p.m. along with the various locations of Art Perform and Art Positions. Check out artbasel.com for more detailed information on times and locations. Otherwise watch for flyers and promoters to check out some of the cool events and local galleries and warehouses.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

MAIN Venue
Miami Beach Convention Center
Hall A & D
miami beach
daily: noon to 8 p.m.

Miami Art Central
5960 SW 57 Ave.
Miami
305-445-3333

MOCA
70 NE 125 Street
North Miami
305-893-6621

MAM
101 West Flagler Street
Miami
305-375-1704

Bass Museum of Art
2121 Park Avenue
Miami Beach
305-673-7530

HIGHLIGHTS

Art Loves Film
Sketches of Frank O. Gehry
Lincoln Theater, 541 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach

Crobar Dance Party “God is a DJ”
Crobar, 1445 Washington Ave., Miami Beach

Art Loves Design
Miami Design District Art Walk
N.E. 2nd Ave. between 39th and 40th, Miami