A satisfactory State of the University

Student Government (SG) President Pete Maki’s remarks at this year’s State of the University speech focused on the accomplishments of the past year as well as the shortfalls, which he prefaced by relating a few words of advice given to him by last year’s SG president, namely to get everything done as soon as he could.

“I took his advice and was very busy this summer with Student Government,” said Maki.

He continued by expressing how proud he was of all that his executive board accomplished over the past year, citing the shuttles to the beach that were recently made available to students.

“We had a rocky start with rain and hurricanes ruining the events leading up to [the introduction of the service],” Maki said. He added that he hopes the service will become so institutionalized that it will continue indefinitely.

Maki also hit upon several other accomplishments that he was pleased to see come to fruition.

“We were able to extend the library hours to 2 a.m.-a whole extra hour of study time,” he said.

Maki also said that having the library open for 24 hours a day is still a goal, but that it was up to the students to prove that there is a need for such a measure.

“It is up to our students at this point to prove this need by taking advantage of this extra time by utilizing the library services,” he said.

According to Maki, other successes include additional routes for shuttles service, free laundry in the dorms, free business cards for student from the Toppel Career Center, an increase in SG publicity and barbeque grills around campus, with grilling supplies available in the C-Store.

Besides these, Maki was clear in expressing three platforms goals that his administration was able to begin but could not come about for a variety of reasons.

One of these is offering wireless or networking printing on-campus. According to Maki, this proposal did not materialize due to contractual issues with the current printer company.

“I expect to see this worthy project being done within the year,” he said.

Making ‘Cane Cards a payment option for venues off-campus was the second incomplete goal that Maki discussed. He also said that the University saw the need as well but pointed to security issues as the chief obstacle to this plan, a conclusion he said he fully agreed with.

The final aim was offering free towels in the Wellness Center, which Maki admitted he was disappointed with.

“It [wasn’t] due to a lack of will or ingenuity,” he said. “But after going through all the numbers.they simply don’t add up in our favor.” Maki said the objective was partially achieved through a give-away more than 2,000 towels.

Greg Linch can be reached at g.linch@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...