A conversation with the president

University of Miami President Donna Shalala spoke about personal influences, politics and gave a few words of advice to students at the Council for Democracy meeting Tuesday. “A Personal Conversation with Donna Shalala” created a forum between students and their president and was based on a question-and-answer session.

Dan Kalvig, vice president of the Council for Democracy, started the question session by asking Shalala to name her political role models. Among them were President Woodrow Wilson, a fellow college president who fought for international peace and President John F. Kennedy, whom Shalala credited as being responsible for her joining the Peace Corps in 1962.

Also a topic of the conversation was Shalala’s eight years in the Clinton administration as Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. She was the only member of Clinton’s cabinet to serve the full two terms.

“[President Clinton is the] smartest politician that I know personally,” Shalala said. “He always had a book in his hands. He loved a good debate. He would sit and talk to people.” One of her major accomplishments as HHS secretary was making sure that most children are fully vaccinated by the age of three, she said. Shalala was also instrumental in initiating the carding system to stop underage smoking. The president emphasized that sometimes in public policy you lose the big battle but win in the long-run with a cumulative set of small victories that change attitudes.

“Networking makes the difference,” Shalala said, adding that in order to get ahead in politics, students should work in campaigns, remember the people that they work with and keep in touch with people.

In terms of the University, Shalala spoke about her goals to make UM more affordable to middle-class families through more grants and scholarships and increasing scholarships for upper-level students. On the subject of education, she felt that the real test is whether the college education prepares the student for life twenty years into the future.

University current events were also a topic of conversation. Regarding the Unicco living wage campaign, Shalala said she could not comment, saying that the University plans on staying neutral in the issue.

A big reaction was heard from the audience when Shalala responded to what she would want to accomplish as President of the United States of America: she said she would eliminate all college tuitions. Her desire would also be to provide universal health care.

Shalala also had advice for the UM students. She believes that students in college should make friends for a lifetime. She also suggested that they take a course in a subject that currently holds no interest to them, as a way to broaden their horizons.

“I think it was really successful,” said Alejandro Callirgos, executive director of Council of Democracy, after the event. “The whole title was a personal conversation, and she had said she preferred being more personal with the students, which she was.”

Melissa Dore can be contacted at m.dore@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...