Volleyball shocks UNC in five sets

The University of Miami volleyball team found itself in a familiar situation Friday night, trailing the North Carolina Tar Heels two games to none. However, the Hurricanes rallied to upset the Tar Heels in five games, putting UNC’s NCAA Tournament hopes in jeopardy.

The ‘Canes (14-13, 9-10) went into the match having dropped their last two contests to ACC rivals. They also lost their last meeting against UNC (21-8, 16-3) three games to one.

This time the outcome was different. Miami hung on by its fingernails, pushing the Tar Heels to a fifth game. In the deciding frame, the Hurricanes totally dominated, cruising to a 15-3 victory.

“We knew our backs were against the wall going into the third set,” said Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We needed to make a significant change in our play if we wanted to come out on top. We did just that.”

Not only was this a marquee win for the Hurricanes; it was a match for the record books. Karla Johnson at night’s end became Miami’s all-time kills leader with 1437.

“I’m just glad we got this win.” Johnson said after the match. “I think Val had the record before and she was a great player; it’s just exciting.”

Lantagne Welch said she appreciated what Johnson has brought to the program throughout her career.

“I can’t say enough about Karla,” Lantagne Welch said. “She is just a pleasure to coach and she does it all with an outstanding match tonight, a match in which she etches her name in the record books. I think that’s a tribute to all she has done, very well deserved.”

Even with Johnson’s historic night, it wasn’t easy to overlook the performance of Francheska Savage, who had 23 kills and nine digs. Savage was also able to put the team on her shoulders in the fifth game, nailing five of five kill shots.

“I think Frannie got mad at some point in the match and she used her aggression to just play better,” Lantagne Welch said “We had her in the middle but no matter where she was she did great and she just took over in game five.”

On Sunday the Hurricanes defeated N.C. State in four games (30-18, 30-20, 27-30, 30-23) at the Knight Sports Complex. Savage led all players with 23 kills. With the win, Miami improves to 15-13 on the season.

Richard Lavi

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...