Volleyball shocks UNC in five sets

The University of Miami volleyball team found itself in a familiar situation Friday night, trailing the North Carolina Tar Heels two games to none. However, the Hurricanes rallied to upset the Tar Heels in five games, putting UNC’s NCAA Tournament hopes in jeopardy.

The ‘Canes (14-13, 9-10) went into the match having dropped their last two contests to ACC rivals. They also lost their last meeting against UNC (21-8, 16-3) three games to one.

This time the outcome was different. Miami hung on by its fingernails, pushing the Tar Heels to a fifth game. In the deciding frame, the Hurricanes totally dominated, cruising to a 15-3 victory.

“We knew our backs were against the wall going into the third set,” said Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. “We needed to make a significant change in our play if we wanted to come out on top. We did just that.”

Not only was this a marquee win for the Hurricanes; it was a match for the record books. Karla Johnson at night’s end became Miami’s all-time kills leader with 1437.

“I’m just glad we got this win.” Johnson said after the match. “I think Val had the record before and she was a great player; it’s just exciting.”

Lantagne Welch said she appreciated what Johnson has brought to the program throughout her career.

“I can’t say enough about Karla,” Lantagne Welch said. “She is just a pleasure to coach and she does it all with an outstanding match tonight, a match in which she etches her name in the record books. I think that’s a tribute to all she has done, very well deserved.”

Even with Johnson’s historic night, it wasn’t easy to overlook the performance of Francheska Savage, who had 23 kills and nine digs. Savage was also able to put the team on her shoulders in the fifth game, nailing five of five kill shots.

“I think Frannie got mad at some point in the match and she used her aggression to just play better,” Lantagne Welch said “We had her in the middle but no matter where she was she did great and she just took over in game five.”

On Sunday the Hurricanes defeated N.C. State in four games (30-18, 30-20, 27-30, 30-23) at the Knight Sports Complex. Savage led all players with 23 kills. With the win, Miami improves to 15-13 on the season.

Richard Lavi

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...