Try Jack’s Mannequin on for size

Andrew McMahon, the frontman of emo-punk band Something Corporate, made headlines this summer for the wrong reasons. News of his cancer diagnosis completely overshadowed the debut of his newest side project, a band by the name of Jack’s Mannequin. McMahon, who leads Jack’s Mannequin with his vocals and piano skills, failed to promote Everything In Transit as he underwent treatment for his leukemia, unfortunately leading to little publicity on the impressive album.

Those familiar with McMahon’s work in Something Corporate (SoCo) might wonder how Jack’s Mannequin differs from his past work. Although his delicious formula of angst-ridden lyrics, growling bass and pounding keyboard melodies drew success in SoCo, Everything In Transit pleases with its softer tone. While it maintains McMahon’s trademark pleading vocals, it’s different-less punk and more reflective of a gradual maturation of sound. Perhaps this is because of the growth of the changing musical scene; pop-punk is dying and piano-rock is in. The piano takes the spotlight in Jack’s Mannequin, which earns major points: McMahon’s piano abilities were arguably the most differentiating factor of SoCo from most bands in its genre.

Close your eyes and listen, and this disc will conjure up images of Southern California, where McMahon’s roots lie. The album is perfect for a drive to and from the beach on a Saturday afternoon, especially songs like the scene-setting single, “The Mixed Tape,” the energetic “Bruised” and the riveting “Dark Blue.” Everything In Transit delivers with its infectious piano riffs and beautiful lyrics that manage to pull at the heartstrings without being melodramatic. One can only wish Andrew McMahon a speedy recovery so that he can continue to produce music of this caliber.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...