the holiday guide of the season

The holidays are a natural time to exchange presents with Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa marking the days of November and December. Some of us shop early, accumulating presents for loved ones in a hidden closet, while others shop late and search frantically at the last minute. However, all of us, even the late shoppers, try to find something for the friend, the family member or that someone special.

Since the day after Thanksgiving is the biggest shopping day in the retail world and a shopaholics’ shopping bag filled life, EDGE is contributing to the inevitable mess of wrapping paper, online ordering and shopping bags. This is the hot list and no, it does not include celebrities, weird sex toys or references to things you’d get from your mother’s uncle’s sister’s brother. This is our list of places to go, websites to visit and wrapping paper you need to buy for this holiday season.

Holiday Shopping:

by the numbers

62.2

Percent of people surveyed who plan to buy clothing or clothing accessories as gifts this holiday season, the highest perentage of any gift category. Next were books, CDs and DVDs (60.8%), gift certificates (50.4%), toys (45.4%) and beauty items (25.2%) finishing the list.

75.1

Percent of consumers that are planning to shop at discounters this holiday season.

45,827

The number of malls and shopping centers nationwide.

30.7

Percent of consumers planning to use primarily check/debit cards for gift purchases. Next was cash (26.9%), credit cards (30.1%) and personal checks (12.3%) rounding out the list.

$34.18

Amount the average consumer plans to spend on decorations this holiday season.

Keep tabs on what you want for the holidays

As a service to yourself and others, write down your list for Santa in this handy book. When someone asks whats on the holiday list, just flip out the pages.

WRAP IT UP

Urban Outfitters

Shops at Sunset Place

(if you don’t know where this is….tsk tsk)

www.urbn.com

Holiday Cards

Tons of places/sites have great cards but it’s the unique ones that are really going to cause an uproar of laughter.

Pink Palm Company

737 Lincoln Rd.

Miami Beach, FL 33139

Phone: 305-538-8373

Web: www.pinkpalm.com

Where to shop

Z-Gallerie

at the Shops at Sunset Place

Despite it’s regular early-30s customers the gallerie has lots of fun glassware, games, books and even a good magnetic dartboard.

Base

939 Lincoln Rd

Miami Beach, FL 33139

Phone: 305-531-4982

www.baseworld.com

Know anyone who loves to skate? Check out the best store in South Florida and have access to a whole range of possible gifts.

MIA Skateshop

229 9th Street

Miami Beach

www.miaskateshop.com

Funky and fun, this shop specializes in cool vintage prints and artistic clothing.

Yo-Yo

742 NE 79th Street

Miami

Phone: 305-754-4279

IF ALL ELSE FAILS: things to fall back on

When all else fails, things that are practical are often the best to fall back on. If you know someone drinks wine, get a bottle opener, if they love to dance and have fun get a mini-disco ball-add some mix-tapes and call it a day.

Barnes and Noble giftcards:

Not only do these work for people who love books, as college students they work really well for textbooks or buying magazines, appropriate or not.

iTunes giftcards:

Sold at Target and other chain stores, so many people have iPods and necessary iTunes program that this gift is a sure win. Starting at $5 and going up in increments of $5, the card is also a good gift for Secret Santa or Kris Kringle.

Blockbuster Movie Packs:

A free movie rental, popcorn and candy of choice; perfect for an evening at home.

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...