System of a Down doesn’t compromise

It didn’t take long after the disbandment of Rage Against the Machine for the Armenian rockers System of a Down to take Rage’s place at the throne of the most politically engaging rock group in the mainstream. And like Rage, System of a Down likes to make their presence known. Now with the second release to their two-part album, this band will surely get the attention they’ve been looking for.

Hypnotize, released in May, is a consistently pleasing, hard-edged album. It took risks, but it never needed to leave the shallow end of the pool. Hypnotize is the album that decided to jump of the deep end and never come up for air. It is definitely a “different album.” Pulsating, loud, jagged and almost inconsumable, Hypnotize is deliriously enjoyable and a little too over-the-top for its own good at times. While still keeping with the feel of a System album, Hypnotize sometimes goes overboard. “Vicinity of Obscenity,” for instance, is an exercise not only in self-indulgence but in futility as well. Its obscurity and blatant resistance to any formal arrangement of music makes it often funny and pretty unbearable.

There are a few songs along with “Obscenity” that give the album an almost frightening quality. No doubt some of these songs are electrifying in their vulgarity, but that doesn’t make them nearly as enjoyable as they are attention-grabbing. Songs like “U-Fig,” “Stealing Society” and “Dreaming” feel stiff and out of control.

Negative aspects aside, Hypnotize feels like a means to an end. There’s no doubt that some keen trimming and self-determination could have made these two albums a very strong single album. But one thing System of a Down is definitely not known for is compensating their artistic integrity… even if that means a worse product.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...