Stinging defeat for Miami

Just as Miami fans began to make reservations for the Dec. 3 Atlantic Coast Conference Championship in Jacksonville, Georgia Tech came to the Orange Bowl on Saturday and ruined their postseason plans.

The Yellow Jackets harassed UM quarterback Kyle Wright, compiling a season-high seven sacks in a 14-10 victory over the No. 3 Hurricanes

Miami (8-2, 5-2) drove to the Georgia Tech (7-3, 5-3) 27-yard line with less than two minutes remaining, but Dennis Davis stepped in front of Wright’s pass to tight end Greg Olsen for a game-clinching interception

The Yellow Jacket defense held the Hurricanes to 11 first downs. Miami only converted one of 14 third down opportunities.

“I think we played about as bad as we could have played,” Wright said. “We didn’t capitalize on our opportunities and we had them during the game. You just have to tip your hat to Georgia Tech.”

Both of Georgia Tech’s scoring drives were aided by UM penalties. In the first quarter, a Ken Phillips interception in the end zone was negated by a pass interference flag on Marcus Maxey, leading to Tashard Choice’s two-yard touchdown run. An unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on linebacker Rocky McIntosh continued a Yellow Jacket third-quarter drive, which ended in a 16-yard touchdown by Reggie Ball on a quarterback draw, putting Georgia Tech up for good.

Ball’s passing numbers were unimpressive, as the junior signal caller went 11-for-30 for 159 yards, but he made big plays when the Yellow Jackets needed to move the chains. Calvin Johnson, the leading receiver in the ACC, finished with six catches for 89 yards.

Trailing 7-0 in the second quarter, Darnell Jenkins gave Miami prime field position with an 18-yard punt return to the Georgia Tech 24-yard line. Four plays later, Jon Peattie nailed a 43-yard field goal to pull the Hurricanes within four.

At the end of the first half, Wright led Miami on its best offensive march of the evening, completing back-to-back passes of 15 and 37 yards to Ryan Moore, setting up a 19-yard touchdown strike to Sinorice Moss for a 10-7 UM lead with 57 seconds left in the first half.

After the Yellow Jackets regained the advantage, the Hurricanes drove to the Georgia Tech 12-yard line early in the fourth quarter. Charlie Jones was stuffed for no gain on third-and-one, and Head Coach Larry Coker passed up a potential 29-yard Peattie field goal to go for the lead. Jones lost three yards on fourth down and GT took over.

“In hindsight [letting Peattie kick]probably would have been the better call, but we weren’t moving the ball,” Coker said.

Miami’s final drive started at its own 11-yard line. Wright found Quad Hill for 13 yards on first down, followed by a 25 yard completion for Moore. After an incomplete pass, Wright threw a screen to Moss, who broke free for 24 yards. Despite having almost two minutes left, Wright forced a first-down pass to Olsen, which Davis picked off to officially eliminate the Hurricanes from national championship contention.

Coker said the entire offense played poorly in the loss, which seemed similar to Miami’s 10-7 season-opening defeat at Florida State, where poor blocking limited what the Hurricanes could do.

“We didn’t protect our quarterback very well, so without a question it’s a regression,” Coker said. “We’ve done that the past few weeks and didn’t do that tonight. I think the big key is that we weren’t able to run the ball very well and that certainly ties in with pass protection.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...