Meier era starts with bang

The women’s basketball team, under new Head Coach Katie Meier, began the season in fine fashion by securing its first win 72-51 over Samford.

Forward Tamara James led the Hurricanes with 17 points. Melissa Knight, in her first game back from an ACL injury, added 14 points.

The ‘Canes (1-0) opened the scoring with a successful free throw by newcomer Renee Taylor. Their lead was lost to the Bulldogs (0-1), who scored the next four points. Senior guard Katie Hayek sunk a three-point shot, evening the score.

While it seemed like the teams were gearing up for a close game, the Hurricanes pulled ahead 6-4 with a lay-up by Imani Dhahabu.

Miami’s scoring remained solid throughout the rest of the first half. Offensively, the ‘Canes had a comfortable edge against Samford. On defense, the Hurricanes held the Bulldogs to 17 points in the first half.

“Our effort was first class. Defense in the first half was phenomenal and [Miami] is a team that hasn’t been known for its defense,” Meier said. “I’m very proud.”

The second half was equally successful for the Hurricanes, who maintained the lead throughout.

At the start of the game, senior forward Tamara James was six points shy of being third place all-time in scoring at UM. It marked the 31st straight game James finished in double figures.

“I don’t know how far she has to go to be the leading scorer, but I will tell you that she is one of the best scorers I have ever coached,” Meier said. “The timing of her baskets is what makes her special.”

James said the win deserved more attention than her individual feats.

“[The records] are not what are important to me,” James said. “If we have a successful season, then I can look back and be remembered, but I would rather be someone of significance on the team than someone of achievement.”

Despite the solid win, Meier said that offensive execution would be a target area to improve upon.

“I told the team it was everything you could want in a first game,” Meier said. “We showed we were good and then we showed we can be bad. We were tested and we had to make some plays to win it.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...