Meier era starts with bang

The women’s basketball team, under new Head Coach Katie Meier, began the season in fine fashion by securing its first win 72-51 over Samford.

Forward Tamara James led the Hurricanes with 17 points. Melissa Knight, in her first game back from an ACL injury, added 14 points.

The ‘Canes (1-0) opened the scoring with a successful free throw by newcomer Renee Taylor. Their lead was lost to the Bulldogs (0-1), who scored the next four points. Senior guard Katie Hayek sunk a three-point shot, evening the score.

While it seemed like the teams were gearing up for a close game, the Hurricanes pulled ahead 6-4 with a lay-up by Imani Dhahabu.

Miami’s scoring remained solid throughout the rest of the first half. Offensively, the ‘Canes had a comfortable edge against Samford. On defense, the Hurricanes held the Bulldogs to 17 points in the first half.

“Our effort was first class. Defense in the first half was phenomenal and [Miami] is a team that hasn’t been known for its defense,” Meier said. “I’m very proud.”

The second half was equally successful for the Hurricanes, who maintained the lead throughout.

At the start of the game, senior forward Tamara James was six points shy of being third place all-time in scoring at UM. It marked the 31st straight game James finished in double figures.

“I don’t know how far she has to go to be the leading scorer, but I will tell you that she is one of the best scorers I have ever coached,” Meier said. “The timing of her baskets is what makes her special.”

James said the win deserved more attention than her individual feats.

“[The records] are not what are important to me,” James said. “If we have a successful season, then I can look back and be remembered, but I would rather be someone of significance on the team than someone of achievement.”

Despite the solid win, Meier said that offensive execution would be a target area to improve upon.

“I told the team it was everything you could want in a first game,” Meier said. “We showed we were good and then we showed we can be bad. We were tested and we had to make some plays to win it.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...