UMNEWS – School of Music presents students with cutting-edge concepts

Take a midday stroll around any college campus, a weekend trek through a mall or a workout session in any gym, and you’ll notice dozens of people doing the same thing: listening to downloaded songs on their iPods.

Those light, portable digital audio players are revolutionizing the way people listen to music and having an impact on what is taught at the University of Miami’s Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music.

In the school’s Music Business and Entertainment Industries program (MBEI), students are learning how the demand for online music is changing the industry, from its relatively recent emergence as a newer form of distribution to the licensing and royalties that go with it.

The program prepares future executives for a multibillion-dollar music industry that now has more record companies, retailers and publishers than ever before. The curriculum has adapted to the world of online music by teaching students about other areas of profit such as ringtones, which can potentially bring in more revenue than more traditional forms of music.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...