Tough loss to FSU in volleyball

The women’s volleyball team fell to ACC opponent and longtime rival Florida State in five games on Tuesday night at the Knight Sports Complex.

“Losing to your rival hurts more than losing to anyone else,” Jill Robinson, setter, said

Both teams fought to the end as the match went the distance. Each game was won by a small margin.

In the end, the Seminoles secured their first win on ‘Canes turf. The victory brings their season record to 10-16 overall, going 8-10 against ACC opponents.

After a loss to Virginia last week and Tuesday’s defeat, the ‘Canes now have a 13-13 record and are also 8-10 in the ACC.

“I thought we played much better than we had in our last match, so it was nice improvement in our passing and ball handling,” Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said. “It was a tightly fought match that was point-for-point. It was a tough battle between two teams that are making kind of a turnaround at this point in the season.”

The first game went to the Hurricanes 30-24. The game started out hotly contested, setting a pattern for the remainder of the match. The teams were often tied or within a point from each other throughout.

Miami’s margin increased after blocks by Frannie Savage, Karla Johnson and Ciara Michel. The ‘Canes scored their final point off an error made by FSU.

The second game was a disappointment for the ‘Canes, who were hoping to repeat their 2004 sweep of the ‘Noles. After a kill by sophomore outside hitter Makini Thompson, the Seminoles clinched a 31-29 win.

Miami came back from four points down in the third game to secure a 32-30 victory.

In the fourth game, the ‘Canes opened the scoring but soon surrendered the lead. The Hurricanes took an early lead but were unable to maintain dominance. The ‘Noles tied up the match 32-30, forcing a fifth game.

Florida State led throughout the majority of the final game. The ‘Canes fought back, pulling within one point at 14-13. FSU closed out the win 15-13.

“We had a few more problems stopping them and they were able to slow us down a little,” Lantagne Welch said. “That was the difference.”

Johnson recorded 23 kills during the match, bringing her three closer to breaking the school record, set by Valeria Tipiana in 2004.

“We count on Karla for a lot; she really carries a load for us,” Lantagne Welch said. “She had a good match and we’re excited because she’ll get it in the next match.”

The Hurricanes will take on North Carolina tonight at 7 p.m. at home.

“I think we’ll be fine in [this]game,” Robinson said. “You have your downfalls but you can bounce back.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...