Not just any old bird

Balloons, confetti, cake, music and gator meat? That’s right, it’s Sebastian the Ibis’ 50th birthday and everyone is celebrating. For 50 years, Sebastian has been representing the University of Miami with his unique flair, making him one of the most recognizable mascots in the United States.

In 1955, Sebastian was created by the first Student Activities Director Norman Whitten, after whom the University Center is named today.

“Norm Whitten was a very charismatic individual and everybody loved him,” Allan Herbert, ’55 alumnus, said. “The students loved him and he was a terrific person. Norman was a 100 percent Miami Hurricane and the bird he created was his personality.”

However, it wasn’t until 1957 that Sebastian was brought to life when the San Sebastian Hall residence hall sponsored an Ibis in the homecoming celebration. A year later, student resident of San Sebastian Hall John Stormont showed up at football games in a homemade costume to get the crowd pumped up with school spirit.

“He had great personality,” Patti Herbert, ’57 alum and Allan’s wife, said. “He was an instant hit at Homecoming. The different groups had Sebastian created on their floats. When Norm drew him, everybody liked him immediately. He was the perfect thing for the University.”

Sebastian looked different in the early days, sporting a corncob pipe and a sailor hat with an “M” on the front.

“In the ’50s he was a cartoon character, two-dimensional, but now he’s a three-dimensional bird,” Allan said. “Now he’s a bigger and better Sebastian.”

He’s come far since 1955 and has evolved into the Sebastian that students love today.

“I’ve got a lot of memories about Sebastian,” Sandra Alvarez, junior, said. “I remember meeting him for the first time during Freshman Orientation when I was picked during ‘We All Bleed Orange and Green’ to learn the C-A-N-E-S spell out. He was really friendly and outgoing. He made fun of me when I couldn’t do the spell out right.”

Sebastian’s charisma has earned him quite a reputation. He was recently nominated as a candidate in the CapitalOne Bowl’s 2005 Mascot Challenge and is competing for the title of National Mascot of the Year.

“I love the feeling of unity the entire University of Miami family gets when Sebastian’s around,” Alvarez said. “Everyone knows the vast diversity at the University, but it all seems to melt away when school spirit comes into play. We really do become a special sort of family.”

“Even though he’s 50 years old, he shall be forever young in our memories,” Allan said.

To vote for Sebastian in the Capital One Bowl’s Mascot Challenge, log on to www.capitalonebowl.com.

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...