LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

PROUD PARENT

I am a UM parent who regularly reads The Hurricane online. While I have not always agreed with Donna Shalala’s politics, I think she has been an outstanding university president. Inviting Ralph Reed to speak at UM in the interest of exposing students to differing viewpoints bears witness to her wisdom and her ability to put education above personal bias. I don’t even know if my student attended the presentation, but, as a “values voter” myself, I certainly appreciate the fact that he had the opportunity. Thank you, President Shalala.

Dr. Carroll Brennan

Stuart, Florida

RECOGNIZING VETERANS

I am very disappointed in The Hurricane for not mentioning anything about Veteran’s Day on its Friday, Nov. 11 issue. I personally know three vets that attend the University and there are students here who are volunteering to serve their country once they graduate from this institution. I am one of them. What about the students in the AFROTC program, or the Army ROTC students on campus, or the few of us who attended Officer Candidate School for the Marines? It’s a shame The Hurricane couldn’t recognize those who have sacrificed so much for this country.

On a side note, in the movie review for Jarhead the author refers to the main character as a “soldier” in the “army.” This is wrong, the character is a Marine in The Marine Corps. Know the facts before writing a review.

John (Brad) Tatum

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...