LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

PROUD PARENT

I am a UM parent who regularly reads The Hurricane online. While I have not always agreed with Donna Shalala’s politics, I think she has been an outstanding university president. Inviting Ralph Reed to speak at UM in the interest of exposing students to differing viewpoints bears witness to her wisdom and her ability to put education above personal bias. I don’t even know if my student attended the presentation, but, as a “values voter” myself, I certainly appreciate the fact that he had the opportunity. Thank you, President Shalala.

Dr. Carroll Brennan

Stuart, Florida

RECOGNIZING VETERANS

I am very disappointed in The Hurricane for not mentioning anything about Veteran’s Day on its Friday, Nov. 11 issue. I personally know three vets that attend the University and there are students here who are volunteering to serve their country once they graduate from this institution. I am one of them. What about the students in the AFROTC program, or the Army ROTC students on campus, or the few of us who attended Officer Candidate School for the Marines? It’s a shame The Hurricane couldn’t recognize those who have sacrificed so much for this country.

On a side note, in the movie review for Jarhead the author refers to the main character as a “soldier” in the “army.” This is wrong, the character is a Marine in The Marine Corps. Know the facts before writing a review.

John (Brad) Tatum

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...