LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

PROUD PARENT

I am a UM parent who regularly reads The Hurricane online. While I have not always agreed with Donna Shalala’s politics, I think she has been an outstanding university president. Inviting Ralph Reed to speak at UM in the interest of exposing students to differing viewpoints bears witness to her wisdom and her ability to put education above personal bias. I don’t even know if my student attended the presentation, but, as a “values voter” myself, I certainly appreciate the fact that he had the opportunity. Thank you, President Shalala.

Dr. Carroll Brennan

Stuart, Florida

RECOGNIZING VETERANS

I am very disappointed in The Hurricane for not mentioning anything about Veteran’s Day on its Friday, Nov. 11 issue. I personally know three vets that attend the University and there are students here who are volunteering to serve their country once they graduate from this institution. I am one of them. What about the students in the AFROTC program, or the Army ROTC students on campus, or the few of us who attended Officer Candidate School for the Marines? It’s a shame The Hurricane couldn’t recognize those who have sacrificed so much for this country.

On a side note, in the movie review for Jarhead the author refers to the main character as a “soldier” in the “army.” This is wrong, the character is a Marine in The Marine Corps. Know the facts before writing a review.

John (Brad) Tatum

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...