Ideas at the forefront

Last fall we had the presidential election, the debate on campus and the Dalai Lama to keep the discourse at UM alive. This spirited conversation became somewhat muted during the spring semester except for a little spike at the end when Spike Lee gave the senior convocation speech.

The current school year could have continued the downward spiral into silent students, but the University is making a true attempt to keep its students, faculty and staff supplied with fodder for intellectually stimulating conversation.

With both Salman Rushdie and Ralph Reed lecturing within a week of one another, UM students have proven that we don’t need nationally televised events to create a great turnout. Now we challenge the University to continue bringing in speakers who will elicit passionate responses-and in some cases, protests.

Whether these speakers are brought in through President Shalala’s influence or with lecture-series money, the price is well worth the experience and opportunity it gives the campus community. From our standpoint, speakers need not be famous names. While this may help elevate UM in the public eye and looks great on brochures sent to prospective students, we would much rather have someone who doesn’t need a written out speech and that is engaging, funny and incisive with their comments over someone who is nationally or internationally recognized.

While this lack of fame may not create quite the same turnout as the Dalai Lama at the packed-to-capacity Convocation Center, the quality of the speech is more important than the venue and attendance of the event.

Speakers represent what a university environment should be about-introducing new ideas and creating debate. Whether or not one agrees with these ideas, having them out there and available to the campus is an integral part of the education that we pay so much for.

If it takes further soliciting of funds from alumni to continue to increase the number of speakers coming to campus then so be it. The reputation of a university increases the worth of a degree, so it will be a worthwhile investment.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...