Goodbye, C-Center

Corporate America invaded campus Wednesday with the renaming of the Convocation Center to the BankUnited Center. We’re saddened to see our former and well liked name go.

UM has now joined the likes of Minute Maid Park in Houston, Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Safeco Field in Seattle and PetCo Park in San Diego-not to mention last year’s FedEx Orange Bowl, the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and the CapitalOne Bowl. Venues with ugly names advertising companies instead of their cities or teams are the norm now, as if we haven’t had enough with Geico-sponsored trivia and the Sprint halftime show. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Now, students will do a double take every time they see an event announced on Ticketmaster: Is it at the BankAtlantic Center (in Broward county) or at the BankUnited Center (on campus)? And who wants to see the name “BankUnited Center” on a graduation invitation?

Granted, the lure of millions of dollars is hard to decline, and the money from the donation BankUnited gave to the University is, without a doubt, greatly appreciated. But we still feel like we lost a little bit of our love for and ownership of the Convocation Center.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...