Goodbye, C-Center

Corporate America invaded campus Wednesday with the renaming of the Convocation Center to the BankUnited Center. We’re saddened to see our former and well liked name go.

UM has now joined the likes of Minute Maid Park in Houston, Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Safeco Field in Seattle and PetCo Park in San Diego-not to mention last year’s FedEx Orange Bowl, the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and the CapitalOne Bowl. Venues with ugly names advertising companies instead of their cities or teams are the norm now, as if we haven’t had enough with Geico-sponsored trivia and the Sprint halftime show. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Now, students will do a double take every time they see an event announced on Ticketmaster: Is it at the BankAtlantic Center (in Broward county) or at the BankUnited Center (on campus)? And who wants to see the name “BankUnited Center” on a graduation invitation?

Granted, the lure of millions of dollars is hard to decline, and the money from the donation BankUnited gave to the University is, without a doubt, greatly appreciated. But we still feel like we lost a little bit of our love for and ownership of the Convocation Center.

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...