Goodbye, C-Center

Corporate America invaded campus Wednesday with the renaming of the Convocation Center to the BankUnited Center. We’re saddened to see our former and well liked name go.

UM has now joined the likes of Minute Maid Park in Houston, Heinz Field in Pittsburgh, Safeco Field in Seattle and PetCo Park in San Diego-not to mention last year’s FedEx Orange Bowl, the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and the CapitalOne Bowl. Venues with ugly names advertising companies instead of their cities or teams are the norm now, as if we haven’t had enough with Geico-sponsored trivia and the Sprint halftime show. Is nothing sacred anymore?

Now, students will do a double take every time they see an event announced on Ticketmaster: Is it at the BankAtlantic Center (in Broward county) or at the BankUnited Center (on campus)? And who wants to see the name “BankUnited Center” on a graduation invitation?

Granted, the lure of millions of dollars is hard to decline, and the money from the donation BankUnited gave to the University is, without a doubt, greatly appreciated. But we still feel like we lost a little bit of our love for and ownership of the Convocation Center.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...