Elsewhere – Gender can determine your sense of humor

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE)-Two atoms walk into a bar (why is it always a bar?). One turns to the other and says, “I think I lost an electron!” The other replies, “Are you sure?” “Yes, I’m positive.”

It’s possibly the worst joke ever, but if you’re a man, you took longer to decide that it was unfunny than a woman would. This is one of the findings of a study by Stanford University.

Published in the National Academy of Sciences and led by Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences Prof. Alan Reiss, the study was the first to examine how men and women respond to humor differently by monitoring brain responses. Researchers found that women displayed more activity in the parts of the brain involved with language processing and feelings of reward when shown a funny cartoon.

Women showed more activity than men in their prefrontal cortex, which controls language interpretation. Reiss explained that this difference demonstrates that “women may take a more discriminating approach to the features of a cartoon.” While women and men found the same cartoons funny, he noted that women were faster at deciding whether a cartoon was funny. He surmised that women’s greater analytical brain activity contributed to this faster decision-making.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...