Wright on Track

After Miami’s defense displayed its might in beating Virginia Tech last week, the offense got a chance to impress on Saturday as the No. 3 Hurricanes routed Wake Forest 47-17 at Groves Stadium in Winston Salem, N.C.

Trailing 17-14 with less than five minutes left in the second quarter, the Hurricanes (8-1, 5-1) exploded for 33 unanswered points to ruin Senior Night for the Demon Deacons (4-7, 3-5).

Miami quarterback Kyle Wright tied a school record by throwing five touchdown passes, going 17-for-27 for 319 yards. Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Lance Leggett, Greg Olsen and Ryan Moore all caught touchdowns, and running back Charlie Jones gained 90 yards and had two rushing scores.

“Kyle Wright really had a great day,” UM Head Coach Larry Coker told the Associated Press. “Guys really stepped up for him. But there are a lot of things we have to get better at.”

Wake Forest got on the board first when Sam Swank nailed a 52-yard field goal before Miami’s offense took the field. The ‘Canes responded with an eight-play, 80-yard drive culminating in a one-yard Jones touchdown run for a 7-3 UM lead.

The Hurricanes forced a punt and mounted another long drive, this time covering 80 yards in 11 plays. Jones eluded several tacklers on a highlight-reel 32-yard touchdown run to make the score 14-3.

With the Deacons desperately needing a score, the coaching staff gambled with a flea-flicker pass from Nate Morton to Chris Davis for a 72-yard touchdown. Wake Forest reclaimed the lead four minutes later on a seven-yard Chris Barclay score.

Losing the lead seemed to invigorate the Hurricanes, as Wright launched a 64-yard touchdown pass to Moss 51 seconds after the Barclay touchdown. A Kelly Jennings interception set up a quick Jenkins 10-yard touchdown to put Miami on top 27-17. Barclay fumbled on the next Deacons play, leading to Wright’s third touchdown of the half, this time a 15-yarder to Moore, who led UM receivers with 88 yards.

Wright added two more touchdowns in the second half before relinquishing the signal-calling duties to Kirby Freeman: a 76-yard bomb to Leggett and a 10-yard strike to Olsen. He told the AP that he was hoping to break the five-way tie and throw a sixth touchdown pass before leaving the game.

“Selfishly, I wanted to go back in and get another one,” Wright said.

With Alabama losing in overtime to Louisiana State, Miami is likely to move up to third in the Bowl Championship Series, leaving the Hurricanes on the outskirts of the national championship chase.

“A lot of things have to go our way, but I think we’re still in the hunt for the whole thing,” Coker told the AP.

Wright told the AP that the Hurricanes are solely focused on a potential rematch with Florida State in the ACC Championship.

“We’re right where we want to be record-wise, so we’ve just got to keep winning,” Wright said. “We can’t control what everyone else does.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.Wright ties school pass record with five TDs in win over Wake Forest

By Eric Kalis

Sports Editor

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...