The Hurricane sits down with basketball star Guillermo Diaz

The Hurricane: Growing up in Puerto Rico, was basketball always your sport?

Guillermo Diaz: Basketball was the first sport that I played. It wasn’t until I was 12 that I started playing volleyball.

TH: When did you start playing basketball?

GD: I started playing basketball when I was six.

TH: Was or is there anyone you looked up to as a role model? Or are there certain aspects of someone that you like and say, “hey, that’s pretty good. I want to be more like that.”

GD: I always followed my brother. My brother was the one who taught me how to play basketball. He was the one always telling me what to do and advising me on what I should do. I always looked up to him as my role model.

TH: You probably have family back in Puerto Rico. How many chances do they get to see you?

GD: Sometimes when they come up here they get to see probably one or two games, but not that much. I try to let them know what’s going on, but they don’t see me that much.

TH: What do they think about your game? Are they proud of you?

GD: [Smiling] Yeah. They’re happy all the time when I give them good news.

TH: This is a new era of Miami basketball with the addition of Head Coach Frank Haith and a new conference. And for the first time in a few years, you guys are contenders for the NCAA Tournament. How do you feel now compared to your freshman year?

GD: Now it’s easier because of all the things I have been through. Plus, Coach gives me a lot of confidence. And being a junior, I see things different. I see things easier. Also we have more depth on the team and with that comes more expectations. We have more new players that can step up, so I try and go out there to help them out to give them that confidence so we can be in the NCAA Tournament. That’s my goal.

TH: Do you think you have elevated your game to the point where you’re going to call for the ball with the game on the line and get the job done?

GD: Yeah. I’m always ready for that; that’s how I am. I always like the ball at the end, and I’m confident. So I know I’m going to do something good with it.

TH: Who’s the player in the ACC that gives you the most trouble going up against?

GD: [Smirking] Eh…

TH: …So there’s no one. No one can stop you?

GD: You know they do a very good job; I’m not going to lie. They do a good job double teaming me and putting pressure on me. Like Duke. Duke did a good job at that. I would say they were the best at that.

Richard Lavi

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...