Elsewhere – House debates bill to reduce student funding

The Daily Cardinal (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE)-The U.S. House of Representatives pushed back a vote on a bill Thursday that includes cuts to financial aid for college students over the next five years. If passed, the measure would cut approximately $50 billion from the federal budget, including $14.5 billion in student financial aid cuts.

Proponents of the bill say that it would ease the federal budget deficit as Congress prepares for a new round of tax cuts. The House plan decreases spending on public programs by $54 billion while setting the stage for about $70 billion worth of tax breaks.

The cuts in financial aid to college students will mostly affect federal student loan programs. According to the Wisconsin zPublic Interest Research Group, the typical student borrower with $17,500 in debt will have to pay an additional $5,800 if the new cuts are put in place.

The vote was delayed as House Republican leaders tried to garner more votes from wavering GOP members.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...