Elsewhere – House debates bill to reduce student funding

The Daily Cardinal (U. Wisconsin)

(U-WIRE)-The U.S. House of Representatives pushed back a vote on a bill Thursday that includes cuts to financial aid for college students over the next five years. If passed, the measure would cut approximately $50 billion from the federal budget, including $14.5 billion in student financial aid cuts.

Proponents of the bill say that it would ease the federal budget deficit as Congress prepares for a new round of tax cuts. The House plan decreases spending on public programs by $54 billion while setting the stage for about $70 billion worth of tax breaks.

The cuts in financial aid to college students will mostly affect federal student loan programs. According to the Wisconsin zPublic Interest Research Group, the typical student borrower with $17,500 in debt will have to pay an additional $5,800 if the new cuts are put in place.

The vote was delayed as House Republican leaders tried to garner more votes from wavering GOP members.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...