Candace Bushnell’s saucy Lipstick Jungle a success

The stories of three powerful working women in their early 40s are woven together in Candace Bushnell’s latest novel, Lipstick Jungle. Executives, wives, girlfriends, mistresses, mothers and best friends, these ladies are the essence of talented hard-working women at the top of the fields. The novel tells the story of each character-a movie producer, a fashion designer and a magazine editor-as they encounter manners of the heart, issues with motherhood, discrimination in the workforce and of course, their own conscience. This novel draws the reader in and entices with more, especially because the chapters skip from the voice of one character to another while still revolving around the same storyline. This structure allows the readers to get into minds and thoughts of the characters, adding an almost movie-like dynamic to the novel.

Similar to Bushnell’s worldly famous Sex and the City, these ladies find strength within themselves and within each other throughout the course of their turmoil, sending a strong message to all women: It is possible to be successful, married and a mother. Leave it to Bushnell to continue to write interesting, thought-provoking novels about women without allowing her characters to be too wrapped in sex and men.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...