Wanted: clear finals guidelines

The decision to extend classes until Dec. 14 following Hurricane Wilma was necessary. The administration didn’t really have a choice, given that there are a certain number of hours students need to be in class every semester, particularly for accreditation purposes. We don’t like having to stick around longer, but we don’t want to shortchange our (expensive) education, either.

That said, the University should have done a better job of communicating how final exams would change to the professors. Professors, perhaps living up to their stereotype of being absentminded, seem to be rather unclear about how to end the semester. Although the University was correct in giving them discretion and freedom on whether to have a final exam and on how to administer it, apparently the professors needed further guidance.

Some professors still believe that they have to give a two-and-a-half hour, cumulative final exam at 8 a.m. on a set date. They have been learning from students that this is not so. Others have taken advantage of the leeway given to them by the University and are refusing to change their syllabi and are cramming their material into the rest of November, ending their classes on Dec. 2 as originally planned. They do this saying that “things will be easier” that way, but piling on PowerPoint presentations and chapters is not the right way to go. Whether professors are “allowed” to do this or not remains unclear, but if they do, it should be because they are on top of their syllabi and not a week or a week and a half behind.

Furthermore, no one seems to know what to tell the student that has four finals on Dec. 13 because he has four classes that day. During regular finals, students could reschedule exams if they had three or more on the same day. Now, students don’t know what they are supposed to do with their conflicts, and they dread the idea of studying for four tests in one night, given that our reading days are gone.

We understand that it takes time to adjust to a new calendar, especially after an unexpected week-long break, but it’s been almost two weeks since classes started again, and problems with communication and clear guidelines persist.

Students’ winter break plans have also suffered from the schedule changes. As helpful as it is that the University will help defray some of the penalty fees for switching flights, some students have had to change their plans entirely, especially if they were planning on going abroad during the break, since now, in many cases, it is too late to find flights. We hope the University is making some exceptions to accommodate these students, as going abroad is often just as, if not more, educational than going to classes.

Miami should be used to hurricanes by now. Just like schools up North plan for snow days-and like Spring Break was invented to avoid the springtime slush following winter-perhaps UM’s Crisis Decision Team should consider adding days to our regular calendar for future fall semesters.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...