UMNEWS – Miller School of Medicine plays role in life-saving infant study

Dramatic research findings just published in The New England Journal of Medicine show that lowering an infant’s body temperature to about 92 degrees Fahrenheit within the first six hours of life reduces the chances of disability and death among full-term infants deprived of oxygen or blood to the brain during birth. The study was conducted at 15 medical centers across the country, including Holtz Children’s Hospital at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center.

Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) happens when an infant’s brain is deprived of oxygen or blood before or during birth. The condition may result from a number of causes including compression or tearing of the placenta, compression of the umbilical cord and rupture of the uterus. It is estimated that HIE occurs in about one of every thousand births. More than half of the babies with a severe case of HIE die, and those who survive all experience a major disability.

A total of 208 infants took part in the study, and at random they either received the experimental cooling/hypothermia treatment or the current standard of care, which includes basic newborn intensive care supportive therapies.

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...