UMNEWS – Miller School of Medicine plays role in life-saving infant study

Dramatic research findings just published in The New England Journal of Medicine show that lowering an infant’s body temperature to about 92 degrees Fahrenheit within the first six hours of life reduces the chances of disability and death among full-term infants deprived of oxygen or blood to the brain during birth. The study was conducted at 15 medical centers across the country, including Holtz Children’s Hospital at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center.

Hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) happens when an infant’s brain is deprived of oxygen or blood before or during birth. The condition may result from a number of causes including compression or tearing of the placenta, compression of the umbilical cord and rupture of the uterus. It is estimated that HIE occurs in about one of every thousand births. More than half of the babies with a severe case of HIE die, and those who survive all experience a major disability.

A total of 208 infants took part in the study, and at random they either received the experimental cooling/hypothermia treatment or the current standard of care, which includes basic newborn intensive care supportive therapies.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...