Slavery still lives in Sudan

In the eyes of many students, slavery is a thing of the past. Yet conservative estimates put the worldwide population of slaves at 27 million-more than any time in history. The sisters of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., raised awareness about the issue Tuesday as they hosted Freedom Day: Slavery in Sudan.

A captivated audience listened and watched as the situation in Sudan was explained at length, complete with gruesome photos and stories of individual slaves.

“I was surprised that slavery still exists,” Philip Laramore, senior, said. “I thought we had risen above it.”

Lattisha Rowe, vice president of Sigma Gamma Rho, got the idea for hosting the event as part of her sorority’s Founder’s Week after she read a story detailing one slave’s experiences in Sudan.

“The main goal is to raise awareness about slavery in Sudan,” Rowe said. “I think it’s important to open people’s eyes about that. I could speak to someone today who could spark a change.”

Edmund Abaka, directory of the Africana Studies program, gave a brief overview of the political turmoil in Sudan that has resulted in slavery. Embroiled in civil war for almost half a century, the Muslims of the north have been fighting the non-Arab Sudanese in the south in a battle that has left more than two million dead and four million displaced.

“Because of the long civil war, there are ethnic animosities,” Abaka said, which have resulted in the current situation of slavery today.

The presentation detailed the harsh conditions that slaves in Sudan endure, including daily beatings, gang rapes and loss of identity.

Abaka advised students to take the steps needed to bring awareness to the conditions of the Sudanese today. He urged everyone to talk to senators and congressmen and to make it a priority for other governments to intervene.

“The main thing is that people’s rights have been abused. They have been oppressed,” Abaka said. “And therefore we should push it strongly as a human rights case. Sudan should be the opening front for this battle.”

Students walked away with a new understanding of slavery in the world today.

“I think it was very informative and I was surprised to see that something as terrible as slavery still exists.” Shajena Erazo, freshman, said. “It really opened my eyes.”

“I know that slavery exists [in the]present day, but I didn’t know that there were that many slaves, especially in Africa,” Emanna Louis, junior, said.

Rowe wants to expand the workshop to next semester, possibly adding speakers.

“Hopefully we can make it an annual thing,” Rowe said. “There is still slavery in the world today-slavery is not history.”

For more information on the issues of slavery in Sudan, visit www.ibolish.com.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...