Singer, musician Abdel Wright debuts solid reggae album

As a politically-fueled reggae singer and musician, it’s not hard to imagine Abdel Wright’s idols. With obvious comparisons to influential reggae musicians, particularly Bob Marley, Wright has some great names being compared to him. The only question is whether he can live up to the comparisons.

Reggae, musically, certainly isn’t on the up-and-up. Most listeners aren’t even aware it’s a genre because it’s so sparse. For this reason among others, Wright probably won’t be or shouldn’t be expecting big sales for his first album. Not that the sales are ever indications of the quality of an album, but in Wright’s case, it’s like trying to sail on a broken schooner. Nevertheless, despite the dismal opportunities for his debut, Wright has crafted a fairly interesting and often fun album.

Wright’s lyrics are pretty tongue-in-cheek. Sometimes they can feel forced and awkward in the context of the song, but their sentimentality and poetic rhythm keep them from becoming unbearable. It’s nice to know artists still care about appointing a meaning to their songs, but I think we could do without the political messages in every one of them.

The instrumentals on Wright’s self-titled album are solid but nothing new. Each song has energy and spirit but lacks the depth and creativity you need to really wow listeners. Despite the lack of imagination, you never get the feeling of redundancy while listening to the album.

The atmosphere of a debut album is a rather delicate thing. You don’t want to come off too strong in fear of alienating new listeners, but you don’t want to be closed-minded either; though Wright certainly isn’t one to keep his mind closed. This is a musician who talks about revolutions and apocalyptic times like they’ve just begun. His songs address the “Ruffest Times,” “Troubled Waters” and “Issues” that often sting a musician like himself.

Despite being almost too casual musically, the touch that Wright weaves into this album makes up for its lack of ingenuity. As an artist, Wright has a lot going for him. As a politically-outspoken musician, Wright might want to mix it up a little and keep the heavy criticisms to every other song.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...