New organization strives to unite cultures

Seeking to unite the campus as a whole through understanding and inquiry of various cultures, traditions and religions, Students Promoting Acceptance and Necessary Change (SPANC), was recently formed on campus with active official student organization status.

Spearheaded by president Daidre Azueta, SPANC is a group without requisites for membership.

“Basically one of our goals is to increase the amount of interaction of students of diverse backgrounds,” Azueta said. “It’s human nature to feel comfortable with those [that one has]many commonalities with. We want to raise awareness of stereotypes and generalizations, we want everyone to become aware of the biases they might have.”

Going beyond the realm of simply uniting individual students, SPANC wishes to bring together entire campus organizations in adhering to their desire to expand their membership and knowledge of diverse groups.

“We’d like to do an exchange program between different student organizations,” Azeuta said. “We want more interactions between students who wouldn’t ordinarily have that interaction.”

Another promising activity involves visiting the Veteran’s Hospital to learn directly from those who’ve experienced intolerance firsthand, a unique way to delve into the past and uncover contemporary, deep-seeded biases.

“We’d like to go to the VA hospital, collecting oral histories from people who’ve experienced hatred between different groups, and how they’ve experienced culture shock,” Azeuta said.

Other projects to nurture and diffuse experiences include in-school discussions addressing stereotypes with local children, administration of surveys and flyers to raise awareness, poetry slams and performances to share novelties about diverse groups and the creation of an on-campus peace garden and mural.

Meetings, which are projected to be held bi- or tri-monthly, will involve workshops and activities exploring culturally pertinent issues, like discussing ethnic ambiguity and the origins of classifications and also forums that invite leaders of other student organizations to encourage integration as an entire student body.

“Most people agreed that a group like this was needed on campus because it’s not that integrated,” Azueta said. “I think people will join because they’re curious to see what SPANC is about. Everyone wants to be tolerant of others.”

Deltavier Frye, junior, joined SPANC to support a cause she feels passionate about.

“For me, this cause is appreciating and respecting other groups as well as bringing different people together to discuss important issues,” she said.

SPANC’s staff, already a microcosm for the diversity they wish to emulate, consists of Azueta, a native Belizean, Jamaican vice president Gail-Marie Stewart and treasurer Sunil Matthew, of Indian descent.

“Everyone’s welcome,” Azueta said. “The more people, the more diversity, the better.”

Teressa Dalpe can be contacted at t.dalpe@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...