AS I SEE IT

For its first press release of Nov. 1, Florida Power and Light (FPL) announced that it had restored electrical power for “more than 77 percent of FPL customers impacted by [Hurricane] Wilma.” According to the FPL website (fpl.com), this is 2,514,900 out of an initial 3,241,400 customers that lost power on Oct. 24. These are impressive statistics and it’s a testament to the work of FPL’s employees that so many people have their power restored so quickly. The larger picture, however, is being completely lost: should we really be feeling so congratulatory because FPL can rapidly fix a large portion of an electricity distribution infrastructure that broke down so quickly?
Anyone who lived through Hurricane Andrew will tell you that while Wilma did indeed have some strong winds and did cause some serious damage in some places, Wilma was certainly no Andrew. While Wilma has inconvenienced many people, there are no areas that qualify for the characterization of “devastated.” Not having electricity for nearly a month is no small inconvenience, but it’s not “devastation.”
Wilma was a category three when it hit and weakened slightly as it moved across Florida. Yet it still managed to knock out electricity for more than three million customers. Combine this with the power outages that occurred as a result of Hurricane Katrina when some were without power for more than a week, and a somewhat troubling picture develops.
Meteorologists predict that the upsurge in hurricane activity is going to continue for at least the next 20 years. Given the apparent fragility of FPL’s current electricity infrastructure, are we willing to accept a system that breaks down under relatively little applied pressure? And what’s going to happen when the next Andrew, a category five storm, hits?
FPL, in coordination with the state and federal government, should consider redesigning the current electricity distribution infrastructure to take into account both the current infrastructure’s weakness and the upsurge in storm activity. To do so will be expensive. But how much is it already costing us in terms of lost economic productivity and repair and recovery costs? The first place to start should be to consider whether continuing to mount electrical wires on what is essentially a big wooden stick is the best way to maintain electrical system integrity in an area prone to tropical storms.
Nothing we do will ever eliminate power outages, but by making some necessary and long overdue changes FPL can go a long way toward minimizing the negative affects these storms have on our communities.

Scott Wacholtz can be contacted at s.wacholtz@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...