Panic! At the Disco is worth dancing to

It often seems that bands struggle to achieve originality and separate themselves from the rest of the pack. This is not a problem for a group of four high school friends that formed Panic! At the Disco. Their first album, A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out, released barely a month ago, is a compilation of songs that is so musically diverse, it does not seem that it was produced by only one band. They can best be described as a dance rock band, but they are difficult to label due to the fact that each song has an original sound.

Catchy lyrics flow with ease from lead singer Brendon Urie’s mouth, and with a voice similar to Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy, many teens will surely become infatuated with this band. Where Fall Out Boy falls short, Panic! At the Disco excels. They are not afraid to experiment with musical styles that are not already widely accepted. Their songs vary and incorporate different instruments that are rarely used. They contrast the use of drum machines and synthesizers in songs such as “The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage,” with a Vaudevillian piano and an accordion in other songs like “There’s a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven’t Thought of it Yet.” My only criticism is that their lyrics, while memorable, seem to lack any real significance or meaning, but this takes away little from an otherwise remarkable debut album.

Currently touring with Fall Out Boy, Motion City soundtrack and The Starting Line on the Nintendo Fusion Tour, Panic! At the Disco is sure to convert many new fans; they put on a great show that backs up the energy they put into this album. Panic! At the Disco is clearly passionate about their music and their originality, and A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out will definitely make you want to “tap, tap, tap your toes to the beat.”

Matt Stanley can be contacted at m.stanley@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...