Panic! At the Disco is worth dancing to

It often seems that bands struggle to achieve originality and separate themselves from the rest of the pack. This is not a problem for a group of four high school friends that formed Panic! At the Disco. Their first album, A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out, released barely a month ago, is a compilation of songs that is so musically diverse, it does not seem that it was produced by only one band. They can best be described as a dance rock band, but they are difficult to label due to the fact that each song has an original sound.

Catchy lyrics flow with ease from lead singer Brendon Urie’s mouth, and with a voice similar to Pete Wentz of Fall Out Boy, many teens will surely become infatuated with this band. Where Fall Out Boy falls short, Panic! At the Disco excels. They are not afraid to experiment with musical styles that are not already widely accepted. Their songs vary and incorporate different instruments that are rarely used. They contrast the use of drum machines and synthesizers in songs such as “The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide is Press Coverage,” with a Vaudevillian piano and an accordion in other songs like “There’s a Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven’t Thought of it Yet.” My only criticism is that their lyrics, while memorable, seem to lack any real significance or meaning, but this takes away little from an otherwise remarkable debut album.

Currently touring with Fall Out Boy, Motion City soundtrack and The Starting Line on the Nintendo Fusion Tour, Panic! At the Disco is sure to convert many new fans; they put on a great show that backs up the energy they put into this album. Panic! At the Disco is clearly passionate about their music and their originality, and A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out will definitely make you want to “tap, tap, tap your toes to the beat.”

Matt Stanley can be contacted at m.stanley@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...