Miami scores 27 unanswered to beat North Carolina

The Miami Hurricanes used a second half turnaround to defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels last Saturday 34-16.

With the Hurricanes trailing 16-7 at halftime, Miami’s defense took over in the second half and only allowed 18 yards of offense.

On a day that saw only 30,618 fans at the Orange Bowl because of the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma and Miami wearing 1967 replica uniforms, Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss had a career day. Moss rushed for 195 yards and scored four touchdowns, three of which came in the second half when Miami outscored UNC 27-0.

After UNC went up 7-0 on its first drive of the afternoon, Miami responded with an 80-yard drive to tie the score. Then, in one of the wackier plays in recent memory, the ball was snapped by Anthony Wollschlager over the head of Miami quarterback Kyle Wright and settled near the goal line, where offensive lineman Eric Winston, who battled flu-like symptoms all game long, kicked the ball through the back of the end-zone for a safety.

But Miami took the lead for good in the second half when Quadtrine Hill blocked a punt and fell on it in the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown.

Wright didn’t have his best game as a Hurricane, as he finished with 111 yards and three interceptions on a breezy day that made passing very difficult. The gusts of wind were so strong in the upper deck that fire officials moved all fans to the lower deck of the stadium, just as a precaution.

UNC was led by running back Ronnie McGill, who finished with 66 yards, most of them in the first half; he also scored both Tar Heels touchdowns on the day.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.