Miami scores 27 unanswered to beat North Carolina

The Miami Hurricanes used a second half turnaround to defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels last Saturday 34-16.

With the Hurricanes trailing 16-7 at halftime, Miami’s defense took over in the second half and only allowed 18 yards of offense.

On a day that saw only 30,618 fans at the Orange Bowl because of the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma and Miami wearing 1967 replica uniforms, Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss had a career day. Moss rushed for 195 yards and scored four touchdowns, three of which came in the second half when Miami outscored UNC 27-0.

After UNC went up 7-0 on its first drive of the afternoon, Miami responded with an 80-yard drive to tie the score. Then, in one of the wackier plays in recent memory, the ball was snapped by Anthony Wollschlager over the head of Miami quarterback Kyle Wright and settled near the goal line, where offensive lineman Eric Winston, who battled flu-like symptoms all game long, kicked the ball through the back of the end-zone for a safety.

But Miami took the lead for good in the second half when Quadtrine Hill blocked a punt and fell on it in the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown.

Wright didn’t have his best game as a Hurricane, as he finished with 111 yards and three interceptions on a breezy day that made passing very difficult. The gusts of wind were so strong in the upper deck that fire officials moved all fans to the lower deck of the stadium, just as a precaution.

UNC was led by running back Ronnie McGill, who finished with 66 yards, most of them in the first half; he also scored both Tar Heels touchdowns on the day.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...