Miami scores 27 unanswered to beat North Carolina

The Miami Hurricanes used a second half turnaround to defeat the North Carolina Tar Heels last Saturday 34-16.

With the Hurricanes trailing 16-7 at halftime, Miami’s defense took over in the second half and only allowed 18 yards of offense.

On a day that saw only 30,618 fans at the Orange Bowl because of the aftermath of Hurricane Wilma and Miami wearing 1967 replica uniforms, Hurricanes running back Tyrone Moss had a career day. Moss rushed for 195 yards and scored four touchdowns, three of which came in the second half when Miami outscored UNC 27-0.

After UNC went up 7-0 on its first drive of the afternoon, Miami responded with an 80-yard drive to tie the score. Then, in one of the wackier plays in recent memory, the ball was snapped by Anthony Wollschlager over the head of Miami quarterback Kyle Wright and settled near the goal line, where offensive lineman Eric Winston, who battled flu-like symptoms all game long, kicked the ball through the back of the end-zone for a safety.

But Miami took the lead for good in the second half when Quadtrine Hill blocked a punt and fell on it in the end zone for the go-ahead touchdown.

Wright didn’t have his best game as a Hurricane, as he finished with 111 yards and three interceptions on a breezy day that made passing very difficult. The gusts of wind were so strong in the upper deck that fire officials moved all fans to the lower deck of the stadium, just as a precaution.

UNC was led by running back Ronnie McGill, who finished with 66 yards, most of them in the first half; he also scored both Tar Heels touchdowns on the day.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...