LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Princeton Review challenges Kaplan

We at The Princeton Review were dismayed by the one-sided nature of the recent article on Kaplan’s new contract with the University of Miami (“Kaplan becomes official UM test-prep provider,” Sept. 13). As one UM faculty member noted, “I really thought the article was a Kaplan advertisement at first glance.”

The “article” did nothing but highlight Kaplan’s decision to enforce a total ban on TPR’s campus presence-and of course, it served as free advertising for Kaplan. The reporter failed to describe the reason for the switch, namely that Kaplan outbid us for the contract, which had nothing to do with the quality of service we provided.

The article also misrepresented the way The Princeton Review handled its “exclusive” contract with UM. Unlike Kaplan, we allowed other companies to post flyers around campus, sponsor clubs and even hold events on campus. We were well aware of Kaplan’s association with some student groups; it was simply our policy not to interfere with or limit Kaplan’s on-campus activities or relationships, regardless of our contract with the University.

In fact, we’ve always been so confident in our courses and teachers that we have repeatedly challenged Kaplan to a head-to-head debate over the relative merits of each company’s preparation. We want students from local colleges to have the opportunity to ask each of us questions and get straight answers. Sadly, they’ve refused our offer every time.

Kaplan may force student groups to deal exclusively with them since they have taken over the University contract, but individual students aren’t stuck with them. TPR believes that students deserve a choice when it comes to preparing for standardized tests, and we will continue to provide quality services to those students who choose us over Kaplan.

Staff of The Princeton Review, South Florida

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...