COACH’S CORNER

It was a tale of two teams last week. What was said or done at halftime that sparked the team in the second half?

Well, I think the main thing was our players showed a lot of leadership after halftime. They certainly weren’t satisfied with the first half, as nobody was on our side, but I think we did a great job with our players motivating and leading. I also think our coaches made some good adjustments and we went out and corrected things. The main thing

we did was we tackled well and we didn’t turn the ball over, which allowed us to win.

Your defense was dominant in the second half. If it plays like that against Virginia Tech, can they stop its offense?

I don’t think stop is the right word, but I think if we play with that type of intensity it will cause them some problems. We can have a chance to be a really dominant defense.

What comes to your mind first when I say, “Blacksburg…at night…in November?”

Well it’s just a great football atmosphere. I’ve been there before and it’s a terrific place to play and we are looking forward to the opportunity.

How do you prepare for a mobile quarterback like Marcus Vick on Virginia Tech?

We actually had one of our former high school quarterback/defensive back/wide receivers playing as the scout team QB for us today. He’s actually probably our fastest player, which gives our defense a look at

his speed.

How close are you to Virginia Tech Head Coach Frank Beamer?

I wouldn’t say we are real close, but I have a lot of respect for Frank and I like him as a person and a coach, but we don’t talk often because we’re competitors. When we do talk it’s normally at the ACC

meetings in the off-season.

Send questions for Larry Coker to e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...