All or Nothing

The ACC Coastal Division is on the line this weekend, as second place Miami (6-1, 3-1) hits the road to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies (8-0, 5-0).

Not only is the winner likely to wind up in the inaugural ACC Championship game at the end of the season, but it will also keep the team’s national championship hopes alive.

If Miami has had a nemesis since its return to college football glory over the last few seasons, it has been the Hokies. Virginia Tech has won the last seven of 10 games between the two teams, including the last two. In 2003, the Hokies dominated the No. 2 Hurricanes 31-7, and last year they won 16-10 at the Orange Bowl.

Miami enters Saturday’s battle at No. 6 in the BCS after defeating North Carolina a week ago thanks to a dominating second half from the defense. UNC only gained 18 yards in the second half, with 14 coming in the final minute of the game. Running Back Tyrone Moss carried Miami with a career day, running for 195 yards and four touchdowns.

This week’s matchup features the top two defenses in the country. The Hurricanes are allowing only 221 yards per game, while the Hokies aren’t too far behind at 231.

When it comes to offense, the No. 3 Hokies are led by quarterback Marcus Vick, the brother of Atlanta Falcons superstar Michael Vick. The Hurricane defense will have its toughest task of the season in trying to stop the mobile QB. Vick has 14 passing and rushing touchdowns combined and is averaging 6.2 yards when he takes off and runs with the ball.

UM Head Coach Larry Coker said he knows it will be a tough task to stop Vick.

“It’s important to keep him from getting to the outside,” Coker said. “But the other thing is that he throws so well from the pocket also. He can really do it all and has those skills, but I think it’s really important for us to keep him contained.”

The former Big East foes will meet for the 23rd time, with Miami leading the all-time series 15-7. Hurricanes quarterback Kyle Wright is coming off his lowest passing totals of the year against UNC, throwing for only 111 yards and three interceptions. Moss now leads the ACC in touchdowns with 12 on the season and will look to add to his average of 96.4 yards per game.

All eyes in the college football world will be on Blacksburg, Va., on Saturday evening for a battle between the two best defenses in the land. Miami has a couple of question marks when it comes to its defensive line and injuries. Bryan Pata (knee) and Eric Moncur (concussion) have been limited in practice so far this week. Coker said he is hopeful they will be able to play.

Miami and Virginia Tech square off at 7:45 Saturday on ESPN.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...