Wilma wipes out Ga. Tech football game

The football team has yet to be tested since its double-overtime victory over Clemson Sept. 17. The Hurricanes will have to wait another week for an ACC challenge, as Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech was postponed on Wednesday because of Hurricane Wilma’s projected path.

ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford said the game will be rescheduled to Saturday, Nov. 19. The game at Wake Forest originally scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17, was also rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 12.

“After discussions with Paul Dee and Dave Braine, we feel that the responsible action is to postpone the Georgia Tech at Miami football game,” Swofford said. “The projected course of Hurricane Wilma shows that if it stays on its current path, it will have a direct affect on the safety of numerous student-athletes, institutional personnel, fans and Florida residents. Our top priority is the issue of public safety for everyone and we would not want a college football game to interfere with the preparation work to be done by the public safety and emergency personnel. ”

The swimming and diving team’s meet at Florida International University on Saturday was also postponed and had not been rescheduled as of Wednesday at press time.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...