Wilma wipes out Ga. Tech football game

The football team has yet to be tested since its double-overtime victory over Clemson Sept. 17. The Hurricanes will have to wait another week for an ACC challenge, as Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech was postponed on Wednesday because of Hurricane Wilma’s projected path.

ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford said the game will be rescheduled to Saturday, Nov. 19. The game at Wake Forest originally scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17, was also rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 12.

“After discussions with Paul Dee and Dave Braine, we feel that the responsible action is to postpone the Georgia Tech at Miami football game,” Swofford said. “The projected course of Hurricane Wilma shows that if it stays on its current path, it will have a direct affect on the safety of numerous student-athletes, institutional personnel, fans and Florida residents. Our top priority is the issue of public safety for everyone and we would not want a college football game to interfere with the preparation work to be done by the public safety and emergency personnel. ”

The swimming and diving team’s meet at Florida International University on Saturday was also postponed and had not been rescheduled as of Wednesday at press time.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...