Wilma wipes out Ga. Tech football game

The football team has yet to be tested since its double-overtime victory over Clemson Sept. 17. The Hurricanes will have to wait another week for an ACC challenge, as Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech was postponed on Wednesday because of Hurricane Wilma’s projected path.

ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford said the game will be rescheduled to Saturday, Nov. 19. The game at Wake Forest originally scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17, was also rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 12.

“After discussions with Paul Dee and Dave Braine, we feel that the responsible action is to postpone the Georgia Tech at Miami football game,” Swofford said. “The projected course of Hurricane Wilma shows that if it stays on its current path, it will have a direct affect on the safety of numerous student-athletes, institutional personnel, fans and Florida residents. Our top priority is the issue of public safety for everyone and we would not want a college football game to interfere with the preparation work to be done by the public safety and emergency personnel. ”

The swimming and diving team’s meet at Florida International University on Saturday was also postponed and had not been rescheduled as of Wednesday at press time.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...