Wilma wipes out Ga. Tech football game

The football team has yet to be tested since its double-overtime victory over Clemson Sept. 17. The Hurricanes will have to wait another week for an ACC challenge, as Saturday’s game against Georgia Tech was postponed on Wednesday because of Hurricane Wilma’s projected path.

ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford said the game will be rescheduled to Saturday, Nov. 19. The game at Wake Forest originally scheduled for Thursday, Nov. 17, was also rescheduled for Saturday, Nov. 12.

“After discussions with Paul Dee and Dave Braine, we feel that the responsible action is to postpone the Georgia Tech at Miami football game,” Swofford said. “The projected course of Hurricane Wilma shows that if it stays on its current path, it will have a direct affect on the safety of numerous student-athletes, institutional personnel, fans and Florida residents. Our top priority is the issue of public safety for everyone and we would not want a college football game to interfere with the preparation work to be done by the public safety and emergency personnel. ”

The swimming and diving team’s meet at Florida International University on Saturday was also postponed and had not been rescheduled as of Wednesday at press time.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...