UMNEWS – Donation funds program for Contemporary Judaic Studies

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies announced the dedication of the George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies at the University of Miami. The formal celebration took place early last week.

The George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies is an interdisciplinary undergraduate degree program that operates within the University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences. The Judaic Studies program, established in 1972, will be named in recognition of George Feldenkreis’ commitment of $2 million to the Miller Center. The program is made up of a variety of courses that explore all aspects of Jewish civilization, from its origins in Biblical times to its expressions of culture, society, politics and religion in the new millennium.

George Feldenkreis is Chairman and CEO of Perry Ellis International and a member of the University’s Board of Trustees. Mr. Feldenkreis was born in Cuba to parents who fled from the Ukraine just before the Nazi invasion. As a teenager, he was very active in Jewish organizations and began raising funds for a summer camp for Zionist children in Havana. Mr. Feldenkreis was also active in the United Jewish Appeal, the Israel Bonds Organization and headed Betar, a Jewish youth organization.

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...