UMNEWS – Donation funds program for Contemporary Judaic Studies

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies announced the dedication of the George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies at the University of Miami. The formal celebration took place early last week.

The George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies is an interdisciplinary undergraduate degree program that operates within the University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences. The Judaic Studies program, established in 1972, will be named in recognition of George Feldenkreis’ commitment of $2 million to the Miller Center. The program is made up of a variety of courses that explore all aspects of Jewish civilization, from its origins in Biblical times to its expressions of culture, society, politics and religion in the new millennium.

George Feldenkreis is Chairman and CEO of Perry Ellis International and a member of the University’s Board of Trustees. Mr. Feldenkreis was born in Cuba to parents who fled from the Ukraine just before the Nazi invasion. As a teenager, he was very active in Jewish organizations and began raising funds for a summer camp for Zionist children in Havana. Mr. Feldenkreis was also active in the United Jewish Appeal, the Israel Bonds Organization and headed Betar, a Jewish youth organization.

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...