UMNEWS – Donation funds program for Contemporary Judaic Studies

The Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies announced the dedication of the George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies at the University of Miami. The formal celebration took place early last week.

The George Feldenkreis Program in Judaic Studies is an interdisciplinary undergraduate degree program that operates within the University of Miami’s College of Arts and Sciences. The Judaic Studies program, established in 1972, will be named in recognition of George Feldenkreis’ commitment of $2 million to the Miller Center. The program is made up of a variety of courses that explore all aspects of Jewish civilization, from its origins in Biblical times to its expressions of culture, society, politics and religion in the new millennium.

George Feldenkreis is Chairman and CEO of Perry Ellis International and a member of the University’s Board of Trustees. Mr. Feldenkreis was born in Cuba to parents who fled from the Ukraine just before the Nazi invasion. As a teenager, he was very active in Jewish organizations and began raising funds for a summer camp for Zionist children in Havana. Mr. Feldenkreis was also active in the United Jewish Appeal, the Israel Bonds Organization and headed Betar, a Jewish youth organization.

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...